• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-06-15 Hilo Kamehameha statue spear theft
Hawai#699;i Police Department
South Hilo District
Officer Matthew Lewis
Phone (808) 961-2213
Report No. C15026260

Media Release

Hawai’i Island Police are seeking the public’s assistance in locating the top section of the Hilo Kamehameha statue spear, taken from the Wailoa State Park area.

The Spear is described as being made of bronze, brown in color with some oxidation, with a gold in color tip, and is approximately six-foot in length and 1.25 inches in diameter. The spear was last seen on Saturday (September 5) and reported missing on today (September 6) at 2:48 p.m.

Police ask anyone with information about this incident, the identity of the suspects or the whereabouts of the stolen item to call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at (808) 935-3311 or Officer Matthew Lewis at (808) 961-2213.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the island-wide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300 and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers doesn’t record calls or subscribe to caller ID. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

WHAT IN THE WORLD? This cannot be good.

sickening
I've never understood the glorification of Kamehameha, he "unified" the islands thru violence and multiple massacres not peaceful agreements and negociation. Sorry but I don't have a problem with someone stealing his spear. Seems appropriate.
Geeze. Well, they probably melted it down for their next fix. My husband's bronze vase at his grave was stolen last week. Cost was over $500.00 and it's freaking gone.

Morons. All of them. Get a freaking job, and if this is a "statement" about Kamehameha, well, doesn't change a damn thing. Criminal property damage, and theft is HEWA. Disgusting.

JMO.

ETA: typo/clarity
Sorry to hear about your husband's vase Opihikao, drugs can make people forget their humanity.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Sorry to hear about your husband's vase Opihikao, drugs can make people forget their humanity.

Aloha ahiahi, KJ, and mahalo. It sucks. Second one. [xx(][Sad!] Your statement is spot on, and I thank you.

Back to topic, who ever did this (including defacing the signs) was making a statement of sorts. Still HEWA LOA, not because it's Kamehameha's statute, but because it is just plain uncalled for. SMH.

It's a statue of Kamehameha which purports to be a "welcome to our island" figure that came from Princeville, Kaua'i, when they redesigned the Princeville Resort entry. Nevertheless, spear or no spear, if they took the head off the statue, it would be a different message in it's entirety. Just saying.

Where the hell are the "big brother is watching" cameras? Geeze.

Good night all, mahalo again, KapohoJoe.

JMIO. (Just my Irritated opinion this time)

O' o' 007,

I just took your ___________ and don't have a problem with it ...

So why should you ?

No kidding, pog. SMH.

(*For clarity, previous comment about the statue's head was a horrible analogy (and image) of past comments posted here on PW. Not going to delete, just going to own up to a "bad post". Kala mai.)

JMO.
Does anyone have an extra telescope they can spare?
Set it up next to Kamehemeha's statue, within minutes a group of protectors should gather.
Problem solved.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by pog

O' o' 007,

I just took your ___________ and don't have a problem with it ...

So why should you ?

Oh gosh pog, hate to tell ya but he's dead(thankfully) and doesn't know about the spear.