Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-06-15 Hilo Kamehameha statue spear theft
what is the point ... if no one knows you did it?

Hang it on a wall, someone will talk.
Tell a friend at a bar or party, a drunk guy will overhear your conversation.
Friends and associates talk about the theft and relate stories about night marchers, or other chicken skin tales from days of yore. Then late one night the thief sees Pele and her dog in his rear view mirror (but only one of the rear view mirrors!) and who's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?*

He starts to lose sleep, then one morning the spear mysteriously reappears on the statue.

* Dire Straits, Money For Nothing
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The mysterious plot thickens. Top of spear shaft recovered after being found embedded in Mark Twain's Monkeypod tree down in Waiohinu.

[/quote]

Maybe because it was designed and made in a different time with different standards for behavior than those of today?
[/quote]

the Hilo statue is a newer replica one made in 1963 and erected in Hilo in 1997, the same one that Kauai rejected because Kam I never conquered them...
the most important one is the Hawi one in Kohala at top of BI, its the first one made (1880), it sank in the Falkland Islands in 1883 on its way over here to Honolulu... it was recovered a bit later and sold back to Hawaii and then erected in Kohala, so it was erected slightly after the Honolulu replacement one (the replacement one made after they temp lost the first one in ocean)...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

The mysterious plot thickens. Top of spear shaft recovered after being found embedded in Mark Twain's Monkeypod tree down in Waiohinu.

....AhHA! A *time traveler*! But now the past has been altered and they were never born!
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
Maybe replace it with a lomi lomi stick?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
LOL HereOnThePrimalEdge !
both for telescope idea and quoting Dire Straits.

Opihikao I'm so sorry you had theft like that...some people are heartless (or drug-desperate.)

As for the statue, if it is a statement, it's not very effective, because they didn't explain why they did what they did. Seems more like vandalism or just plain stealing [Sad!]

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
There's also a replica of the same statue of King Kamehameha located in the Capitol's Visitor Center in Washington DC. Father Damien represents Hawaii in the Capitol's Hall of Columns.

lol lomi lomi stick sounds like the prime candidate so far.

Fishing pole aint bad either, Lee.
bangin' on them bongos like a chimpanzee
Well I haven't seen the carnage yet, and assuming it looks like a peaceful staff or cane at this point. I vote we morph it into a surfboard. Who knows where we would be if the Kamehameha chose to surf instead of conquer. Definitely the protesters would not be up the mountain as the King loved his astronomy. Hmmmm....