Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law Recognizes Native Hawaiians...
In today's Civil Beat is a COMMUNITY VOICE article entitled:

Law Recognizes Native Hawaiians as Indigenous People With Special Rights

by Derek Kauanoe, who is a lecturer at the William S. Richardson School of Law and a Ph.D. student in political science at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

For those who contemplate the issues surrounding Hawaiian rights I highly recommend reading it in it's entirety here:

http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/09/law-rec...al-rights/

For me this was an eye opener in that it references a document I have yet to have heard about. Maybe it was discussed earlier in one of the TMT and Hawaiian sovereignty land use rights threads and I missed the opportunity to consider it. Never the less to me, today, it is an encouraging find. The document I am referring to is the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples which can be read in it's entirety here:

http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/docu...IPS_en.pdf

and OMG this is a rich find. For all those (on PW) that have argued every side of this issue as if with authority here is an actual, in writing, agreed to by the worlds leaders, relevant finding on the very issues that so many here have argued over as if they themselves are the utmost authority on the subject, but rarely with any real documentation to back up their position. Here it is.

I think, as does Derek Kauanoe in his article, that Article 3 is extremely telling. It reads:

Indigenous peoples have the right to self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.

Now of course the first question is did the United States vote to ratify this document? And the answer is yes. And further does it apply to native Hawaiians specifically, and again the answer is yes. Derek Kauanoe summed it up as such:

President Obama included the Native Hawaiian people in his endorsement of the declaration. Native Hawaiians have a right to self-determination and with the declaration developing as an international legal norm, the United States is expected to provide processes for the exercise of Native Hawaiian self-determination.

and includes a link to the official Announcement of U.S. Support for the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples which can be read in it's entirety here:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/184099.pdf

and includes this line specifically identifying the Hawaiian people as to be covered by the UN Declaration:

In addition to enhancing the self-determination of federally recognized tribes, the Obama Administration has supported the Native Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act, which provides a process for forming a Native Hawaiian governing entity that would be recognized by, and have a government-to-government relationship with, the United States.

Of course someone is going to say it's unconstitutional, and someone else with say the UN has no authority blah blah blah, as well as maybe I missed a long winded argument that happened months ago and all the flag waving Americans already 'proved' to everyone's satisfaction that the whole thing is a sham and to tell the truth I am so tire of all the arguing that it doesn't matter. Sheesh some will blame it all on me.. so right up front I will say I'm an idiot, completely ignorant of the facts, and yes it's all my fault, enough? But I thought maybe, just maybe, some will appreciate having their attention drawn to the above.
dakine, thanks for posting this.

I must admit, given the responses of late, decided wasn't worth sharing due to the rebuttal(s) that will come.

It is what it is.

However, like Clinton stated, "depends on the definition of 'is'..." (puke. Sorry [xx(])

http://answers.google.com/answers/thread...62240.html

The existing law (American) indeed has recognized there are rights for "the people of this land", the "host culture", the "Native Hawaiian". Will the law be followed, adhered to, complied with, and honored?

Well, we shall see. Pretty big, tall order, which has failed somewhat to date, in execution. Perhaps there is hope.

Mahalo again.

JMO.

ETA: Hokule'a is taking our message of true "Aloha" around the world, and reached another landmark. (Going to post on the Hokule'a thread. Kala mai, O/T.[Smile])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVDtXEwDFo

The existing law (American) indeed has recognized there are rights for "the people of this land", the "host culture", the "Native Hawaiian". Will the law be followed, adhered to, complied with, and honored?

DLNR's "non-enforcement" suggests this is already the case.

As usual, I just want to see it formalized, so that the rest of us know where we stand.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...convention

...valid law, including Act 195 and the Apology Resolution affirming that Native Hawaiians have a special political and legal status under state and federal law.

Again: wondering if that "special status" will be formally defined in my lifetime ... or will everyone just keep having expensive arguments in the courts.
Exactly how is "Native Hawaiian" going to be defined 100%, 99%, 51%, 1%?

And what "authority" is going to have the final say on who is and who isn't?

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
The article states:

Civil Beat’s readers should know that a 152-year-old Hawaiian Kingdom Supreme Court decision instructs us precisely to interpret the “constitutional” language differently than Akina suggests we should.

So given that it is a law that has different interpretations, at the moment instead of stating categorically:

Law Recognizes Native Hawaiians as Indigenous People With Special Rights

It might be more accurate to to say:
Law May Have An Interpretation That Recognizes Native Hawaiians as Indigenous People With Special Rights

Recognition may take place as the writer suggested, when all of the surrounding issues are addressed (see Cagary's previous comments).
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Uh-oh, Dakine has found something on the internet he agrees with. So it must be true.

Does this mean then that Native Americans are now the only ones allowed to vote and can tell the rest of us to "shut up and ago back to wherever [we] came from". No? Then it doesn't apply to Hawaiians either. Sorry, Dakine.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

[i]

I hope that those that have charted this path have done so in such a way as to be upheld by the courts.

Do you mean to say that you hope that they have followed the law?
Out of curiosity, why is it, that the protesters seem to cling to anything regarding law (international, judge recognizing something, etc) and at the same time ignoring Hawaii Laws.

As a follow-up, when did the US ever give a rats a** about international law, we are currently killing people in how many countries now.
One outcome is certain, already agreed to by all parties. There may be conflict on the surface, everything underground is owned, through OHA, by the Hawaiian people, whenever they decide who they are. Haven't verified it but it appears all mineral rights have been decided to be in favor of the Hawaiian people. It would be a good foundation for the birth of a Hawaiian Nation.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*