Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

That's totally okay, because the TMT only brings in like 1% revenue compared to tourism.

I've pretty much given up on this island. Hopefully TMT will find a new home soon. The big island doesn't deserve the jobs, nor the grants, cash, etc...etc... Next.... Smile
(Sigh...[xx(]) This project apparently will mirror, to some extent, the Superferry, the Spaceport in Kau (circa 1980's or whatever), and other projects that cannot stand the scrutiny.

If only our goverment would operate within the bounds of "the law", in ALL aspects, we'd have much more for "the keiki". Sick of it. All of it.

PaulW (and whoever gives a hoot), I hope they build the damn thing, and I hope we all move forward in the best interest of, not only Hawaiians, but all those who live here today. I consider most of this group on PW somewhat "Hawaiian", because you live here. Just don't feed us BS, anymore. Please.

Additionally, please don't freaking dissect my statement to plead your own case, worse, disrespect our culture; again. Build the damn TMT, and let us move on. Geeze. Waiting with baited breath for the Supreme Court decision. Again.

So frustrated. Ohana is over it, protestors/protectors (whatever) all need to find the damn middle ground. We have to vote (if you signed up; I didn't) for the damn Na'i Aupuni/Kana'iolowalu/Kau I'noa, election crap. If anyone here is voting, please vote for Moanikeala Akaka. She is a warrior. Mahalo. (Apologies for O/T.)

One year ago (give or take 48 hours), the protest began, and the groundbreaking ceremony was stopped. Since then, TMT has not exercised the rights afforded them by law, instead, choose to wait until the Supreme Court decision (is my understanding). Although a financial decision (yes, when you sign development contracts, you pay; if not on schedule, you pay more, etc.) bless them, bless all of us who endure the BS while government continues to disappoint.

I despise what this TMT issue has done to our community. Never lost one friend (friends, true ones, agree to disagree), but must deal with ohana on both sides, who value the meaning of "ohana". Pure freaking BS, thank you government who has no balls (sorry for my language, but Daddy always said, "Oh, balls!")

JMFO, again.[Sad!]
Update: Watching the news tonight (right now), the emergency rules have been invalidated by the court.

HawaiiNewsNow reports....no link yet. SMFH.

JMO.

ETA: KITV reporting the same.
Here are five things that a lot of people all over the world and I have learned about Hawaii and via the TMT fiasco: (Forgive me, respected Opihikao, for repeating some of your points, but they are damn worth repeating.)

1. The state government (note lower case) is even less competent at handling a billion dollar investment opportunity than we thought. From possible faults in the permit appeals process to the lame "let's make some new rules when the ones we already have would do fine and then only enforce them sporadically" approach, they have failed to meet our already low expectations.

2. The governor has no balls and probably isn't real smart, or he wouldn't have let this happen.

3. The TMT organization itself, despite bending over backwards to try to reach an accommodation, gets no respect or value from its efforts.

4. The Native Hawaiians, who do have legitimate grievances, are in real danger of being seen as controlled by their most radical elements . . . people who would rather throw a temper tantrum over a telescope than demand the reform of the always incompetent and occasionally corrupt OHA and DHHL.

5. Nobody, not even a non-profit, is going to make a major investment in this state any time soon, if ever. See #1 above for details.

Rant over.

Edited for typos, the rant remains the same.
"HawaiiNewsNow reports....no link yet. SMFH."

There was a brief article on the HNN website but there's more there now:

http://goo.gl/p3arJJ

My initial reaction is GOOD. The emergency rules were never needed and would do nothing other than make the situation worse.
Mahalo, Chunkster. All points taken; spot on. Indeed. Too much; very upsetting.

Mr. Tom, spot on. WTH. Just mind boggling, and more crap.UGH!

Oh, BTW, we do realize that the arrests that happened under the "emergency rules" will now be invalidated. Not a big deal, just a side note.

Perhaps this is the "Introduction" (like all good old movies had) to the Supreme Court ruling.

God help us all. So disgusted, with all of it. At the least, we maintain our ties that bind, here on PW (for some of us), and in our ohana. This too shall pass (like a freaking gall stone apparently...sorry for the analogy; didn't want to use pregnancy as some here don't get to bear child...lol.).

Now, I'm going to wait for the Supreme Court to rule within the 60 day window that was supposedly the norm. We are within that time frame.

SMH/JMO.
If only our goverment would operate within the bounds of "the law", in ALL aspects

Books have been written which study the myriad ways in which our government makes up the rules as it goes along. Obligatory example: massive "private" subdivisions with no infrastructure, despite rules and laws which require this.

state government (note lower case) is even less competent at handling a billion dollar investment opportunity than we thought

Rail is proceeding just fine on Oahu despite being decades behind schedule (planned since the 1990s) and about $1B overbudget (well, maybe, nobody's sharing that information, just Civil Beat asking questions about the money).

emergency rules have been invalidated by the court

They'll just have to make do with the existing "regular" rules that prohibit camping or blocking the road. Oh, right, the protestors aren't "camping", in much the same way as my subdivision is really "private".
FYI: (*Snipped - More at link)

Court invalidates Mauna Kea emergency rule

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED: 06:40 p.m. HST, Oct 09, 2015

A Circuit Court judge has issued a ruling invalidating the state's Mauna Kea emergency rule aimed at curbing protests against the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope atop the Big Island mountain.

The court granted a partial motion for summary judgment, according to a joint statement issued late Friday by state Attorney General Douglas Chin and state Board of Land and Natural Resources Chairwoman Suzanne Case.

“The state acknowledges the court’s decision and will abide by it," the statement said. "We remind people traveling to Mauna Kea that even in light of today’s ruling existing laws and rules remain. It is always illegal to block the road. This includes standing in the road or placing obstructions in the road. These laws will continue to be enforced."

The state land board approved the emergency rule after a heated July 10 public meeting. State officials argued it was necessary to take swift, emergency action because protesters camping on the mountain were creating dangerous conditions.

The rule prohibited being within a mile of the Mauna Kea access road between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., unless in a moving vehicle. The rule also prohibited, at any time, sleeping bags, camping stoves, tens and propane burners on the mountain.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...obile=true

HawaiiNewsNow report:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30229...gency-rule
The ruling shows Ige didn't have jurisdiction or failed to make the case it was an emergency.

It seems like construction won't start now, due to winter coming. This fall and winter will be great for all lawyers involved. Why do people not see that there is more workforce development growth for lawyers than for astronomers? UHH needs to dump its astronomy BS and replace it with a law school.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

Now, I'm going to wait for the Supreme Court to rule within the 60 day window that was supposedly the norm. We are within that time frame.

I don't know where you get your 60 day time frame for a decision from, but its my understanding there is no set timeframe for them to issue a decision. For example, the Court hasn't issued a decision regarding the KILAKILA `O HALEAKALÂ appeal yet. The oral arguments for that case were held on April 2015.

I hope they issue a decision soon regarding the TMT CDUP appeal though. There needs to be some sort of closure if the project's permitting is upheld, or isn't. The worst case scenario is if the Court remands it back to the BLNR.

If the latter happens, I wouldn't be surprised the TMT Corp. decides to pull up their stakes and scuttle the project. It took over 2 years before the BLNR issued the conservation district use permit. I don't think have the will to go through the process again, especially since any new decisions by the BLNR can be appealed.

It was conditionally approved pending the outcome of the contested case hearing in mid-2011. The hearing officer conducted the contested case hearing in late-2011 and spent almost a year analyzing the evidence and issuing a tenative decision. The opponents had every opportunity to contest the hearing officer's deision. However, the BLNR sided with the hearing officer and approved the CDUP in mid-2013.