Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visiting O'Ahu sure makes me appreciate the Big...
.... Island! $25/day parking, $179 cleaning fees (place better be immaculate!), $59 damage insurance fee (huh? Really?) wifi fees......
After all that and taxes, those rates aren't all that great!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Where did you stay? Sounds like a vacation rental, but parking fees?
Just think of it as an opportunity to contribute to the $6.5B rail system.
Also, stress the danger of malihini meltdown

It's only a danger if improperly prepared.
1st, be sure to fry the mahimahi thoroughly.
2nd, the type of cheese used to meltdown on top of your fish is crucial. I like pepper jack. Spicy!
And 3rd, don't burn your hands on the oven!
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

It's kind of easy to see that gap where you can actually see Diamond Head will be filled in by high rises, so all you see is a concrete resort along the whole coast line. Where people go in herds, it is the reverse mida's touch, everything doesn't turn to gold, it turns to sh*t.

Like how that gap between Hilo and Pahoa is getting filled up?
PT: "BTW, anybody ask why the name "Diamond Head"? Some drunk sailors in the 1800's were in a cave there and saw it lined with gypsum crystals, thinking they were diamonds. The name stuck They spread the word about Hawaii having a diamond filled crater. Just another benefit from haole definition of what Hawaii is. Another reason to start returning the native names."

I call BS on this, all you have to do is look at the shape of Diamond Head to know how it got that name. Unless you have a reputable citation for that story I would say you are once again MAKING STUFF UP.
Actually for once PT is correct although I don't know about them being drunk!

"Diamond Head is the name of a volcanic tuff cone on the Hawaiian island of O#699;ahu and known to Hawaiians as L#275;#699;ahi, most likely from lae 'browridge, promontory' plus #699;ahi 'tuna' because the shape of the ridgeline resembles the shape of a tuna's dorsal fin.[3] Its English name was given by British sailors in the 19th century, who mistook calcite crystals on the adjacent beach for diamonds."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head,_Hawaii
There is this plaque too !

I remember seeing this when I went to the Sunshine Festival in the 70's.

http://www.pbase.com/image/104092526
I found no diamonds either. For a research project in high school I chose as my topic to investigate the prospects of surviving a nuclear attack involving a strike on Oahu. As part of my research I ended up visiting what I remember as a substantial command center underground inside Diamond Head crater ...Civil Defense as I recall. They shared maps depicting 3 scenarios of likely targets and various kilo/mega-tonage of the weapons which might be expected, along with estimated casualties for each. I remember they basically wrote off the entire island of Oahu in the event of the most powerful nuclear weapon being used. The other scenarios involved transporting survivors to the Kahuku area where evacuation of the surviving population primarily to the Big Island would be staged. Fun times pondering civil pandemonium and annihilation towards the end of the Cold War.
Suggest someone introduces a bill to the county council for a new holiday. "Pahoated Gets Something Right Day".

An annual holiday, obviously, or perhaps every two years between election years.