Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
We need a database of absolutely precise measurements for the positional location, in galactic coordinates, of all bright pulsars. You can use pulsars to precisely navigate within the galaxy, no different than the way a GPS uses satellites, but you have to know their exact relative positions.

We also need galactic coordinates (not right ascension and declination) and spectral signatures of stars hosting earthlike planets, and the parameters of the candidate planets themselves. This is TMTs job. A functional warp drive is not that far from being invented and people are going to be blind sided by this achievement. A manned starship to an exo-planet system within the lifetimes of people now living is a high probability if we do not destroy ourselves. No one will live to see its return centuries later, but that is how relativistic travel is. At this point we must acquire and tabulate sufficient precise data for interstellar navigation to earth-like exoplanets. For the northern hemisphere the only option is TMT. This is big for the human species, it is not some back-water political issue.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
quote:
Originally posted by imagtek
A manned starship to an exo-planet system within the lifetimes of people now living is a high probability if we do not destroy ourselves.
That is the problem with Star Trek, they made interstellar travel look easy, so people failed to develop an appreciation for the massive distances involved.

The fact is, in 2015, human beings have not risen above Low Earth Orbit (about 250 miles) since 1972, 43 years. The Russians have not been able to do a soft landing with a rover on the Moon. China has made a soft landing on the Moon but their rover quit moving before 500 feet. The Europeans have no manned program and don't have any plans for many decades. The US is the only space-faring nation. That is on a budget where Americans spend 6 times more on pizza than the whole NASA budget. The plan right now is to let the International Space Station de-orbit and burn up in the atmosphere in 2024, just about the time TMT is operational. The Russians say they will decouple the Unity module first and build their own space station around that. The Chinese are supposed to start on their own large size space station next year.

NASA JPL does have a page for the interstellar warp drive. There are lab experiments going on, the EMdrive is being tested. But if you look at the energy required, it will be obvious that interstellar drives will take decades of research and development.

TMT is needed for finding more planets with better resolution. Here is an example where scientists didn't take observation artifacts into consideration:
http://gizmodo.com/the-closest-exoplanet...1739744448
The Closest Exoplanet to Earth Was Probably a Ghost

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
With respect, imagtek, I think you're jumping the gun.

1) Precise coordinates of bright pulsars are already known, as are their orbital periods, the thing that makes each one unique;

2) If you have RA and dec coordinates then by default you also have Galactic coordinates. It's simple to convert between the two systems. The TMT will not have any effect on this;

3) Spectral signatures of stars hosting exoplanets will not be a role the TMT will perform because it can already be done. Getting a spectrum of an exoplanet's atmosphere will be something the TMT will do and will tell us if that planet is one that could support life;

4) Although there is some research being carried out into a "warp" drive, I see no way of sending people outside our solar system in our lifetime.

The TMT and the ESO ELT will no doubt revolutionize our understanding of the universe, our Galaxy and perhaps our solar system, but I suspect discoveries of how to travel to the stars is still a very long way off. But the TMT will be part of that process if it's built.

Great news TomK! Much of the work already done.

As for the Warp drive, remember that all the way up to the demonstration of the airplane by the Wright brothers, some of the the greatest minds in physics (and astronomy) stated flatly that heavier than air powered flight was physically impossible.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Imagetek, may I be your Co-Pilot ?

Tom can watch our taillights.

LOL,
pog
And I'll be in the lychee orchard hunting pigs with my toys....

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Select-Toy...009JCLWMK/

(Signal to get back on topic? Three, two....)

Jovialidad,
Kirt
Imagetek and Pog,

I'll happily watch your taillights, that's if they stay connected to your space ship! [Wink]

"The jump to light speed is a real killer":

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ght-speed/

I was going to do a calculation myself, but this saved me some time!
Ludicrous speed from Spaceballs!

https://youtu.be/mk7VWcuVOf0
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...mt-project

A poll of 613 residents statewide:

428 (70%) Oahu
93 (15%) Big Island
92 (15%) Maui/Kauai

Oahu residents don't have to live with the "12-year construction nightmare" and/or the "blighted landscape", nor will their taxes be raised to pay for TMT. Why does their opinion matter?
It would be interesting to take a larger sample of Hawaii Island residents to see what they think. This is the finding I find most telling:

Of the survey group, 88 percent said they agree science and Hawaiian culture can co-exist on Mauna Kea.

The "Protectors" can try to ignore it, but it's why their promised massive groundswell of support from the blockade of Mauna Kea Access Road and rally in Honolulu never materialized.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves