Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apaa Street street re-opened
PAHOA, Hawaii – Apa’a Street in Pahoa has been restored.

Also called Cemetery Road, the street was covered by lava in dramatic fashion in October 2015. It was the first public infrastructure to be claimed by the June 27th lava flow; a surreal and frightening moment for residents of Puna who feared the rest of Pahoa Village would soon be lost.

Luckily, the lava stalled. But it left Apa’a Street blocked with a high mound of solid lava rock, impassable by car. The county initiated a project to remove the lava and restore the road, at a cost of $150,000, with 75 percent funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The work started on October 5, after a traditional Hawaiian blessing. Two months later Ludwig Construction finished the job, returning to motorists an important alternative ingress and egress for the area, including the Ka‘ohe Homesteads.

ETA:

The County of Hawai‘i Department of Public Works is pleased to announce that the Cemetery Road Restoration project has been completed and the functionality of the original 12 foot one lane roadway has been restored.

The reconstruction work of removing the lava associated with the October 25, 2014 Pu‘u O‘o Volcanic Eruption that crossed onto Cemetery Road and paving the 500-foot stretch of roadway was completed within the forty working day time frame. The project also completed within the budget of $150,000 and 75 percent of the construction cost was funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The County of Hawai‘i Department of Public Works is continually striving to improve the quality of service for the health and safety of the people of Hawai‘i Island and would like to thank the community for their patience, understanding and support throughout the restoration project.

It's great that it's reopened. I can't help but wonder, however, After going to the dump several times while it was being done, why they had to spend so much money, time and effort to doze it flat as a pancake when they could have just graded the new surface fairly flat and paved right over the new lava. They installed new roads in Kalapana Gardens (Vacation Lots) without digging down 50'feet to the old roads. Just saying.
I suppose that the flow can be seen really well from the drive through?

How's it look?

Wonder if the tour busses will be adding that to their route?
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
My worry is desecrating Pele...

Cheers,
Kirt
quote:
Originally posted by leilaniguy

It's great that it's reopened. I can't help but wonder, however, After going to the dump several times while it was being done, why they had to spend so much money, time and effort to doze it flat as a pancake when they could have just graded the new surface fairly flat and paved right over the new lava. They installed new roads in Kalapana Gardens (Vacation Lots) without digging down 50'feet to the old roads. Just saying.

Because FEMA paid 75%.
Because FEMA paid 75%.

Doesn't that make Apaa an "emergency route" that we can only use after begging permission from the Fed and State?

Or does that condition only apply to Railroad Ave when people want to use it as a bypass for the Roundabout Construction Zone?
The County of Hawai‘i Department of Public Works is continually striving to improve the quality of service for the health and safety of the people of Hawai‘i Island

Working diligently in conjunction with the DOH, to provide streamlined access to Ka‘ohe Homesteads only after the outbreak of dengue fever.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by leilaniguy

There could be some drainage/flooding problems in the area. As I recall, there were some berms that might have been used to control drainage before the flow changed the landscape.
"The work started on October 5, after a traditional Hawaiian blessing."

As long as animistic religious ritual doesn't creep it's way into becoming an obligatory part of publicly funded construction projects.
If Pahoated's comment was less scattered and more coherent, I might respond.