Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dengue fever could be here to stay
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-new...ds-n496521

Apparently CDC is capable of taking action. Just not for us.
Spent some time this morning cutting down over grown banana patches in parts of my yard, somewhat a sticky job. A couple disturbing things I noticed right away was how banana trees bleed some kind of sap that can stain your clothing while cutting them down. Also i had an amazing amount of mosquitoes around me while working on this job. So I decided to pull down the next couple banana tops instead of chopping them. Low and behold I saw water pockets deep inside each green banana leaf, some pools had mosquito larva swimming all about. Even saw a few coqui frogs taking home inside these banana leaf pockets.
Thought I would mention this because once I cleared the area completely I noticed the mosquitoes disappearing or at least moving in the right direction. Certainly not trying to tell everyone to cut down their bananas like bromeliads, just want some to understand what foliage could hold extra dengue carriers if they were concerned or trying to spray for them.
In this climate and environment, it's going to be difficult to get rid of all possible breeding grounds, but good on you for giving it your best shot.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Spent some time this morning cutting down over grown banana patches in parts of my yard... Thought I would mention this because once I cleared the area completely I noticed the mosquitoes disappearing or at least moving in the right direction.

By removing your banana trees you saw a rapid reduction in the local mosquito population. Do you think the Ohia Wilt fungus is also having a positive effect on the mosquito population in your area by removing the foliage the insects hide in?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Good morning HOTPE.

Very interesting question you asked regarding the mosquito population? Well I have spent many hours in these dying ohia stands pondering the what if's, So I will give you a yes and no ansewr to your guestion. What I noticed right away in a dying or dead Ohia forest is the massive amounts of extra sunlight and air flow or wind the bottom layer of growth is now getting,definitely positives for less mosquitoes.
Unfortunately the bottom growth in some ohia stands is producing invasives like strawberry guava, albesia, staghorn, signature trees, and some large purple leafed trees. Even more disturbing is the thick layer of roting matter on the forest floor, from all the fallen leaves and dying branches from this ROD.
If you move this matter or dig through it you can see the molds, fungus, slugs, worms, and excess water just doing their breakdown things. This added layer has made for some kind of breeding grounds for the mosquitoes, maybe in a few years when the extra dead layer gets a chance to compost or dry out it will be different?. I notice the same things with foliage closer to the house as well, so pruning, cutting, and removing extra green waste can make a positive difference in our local mosquito population.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"Oh well, but I'm still hopeful."

Likewise. Disappointed to hear of the new confirmed cases, finding some encouragement that at least it appears there has been no acceleration.

Yes I agree, no acceleration is encouraging. Perhaps this is what Kalani was referring to.
As an update from HPP, I began feeling very ill on Monday the 11th. By Wednesday, it was time to visit the Pahoa Clinic. Dr. determined that I have contracted Dengue. Today's blood test will confirm, but takes about a week for results. Horrible headache, bones hurting and high fever. I am off of Maku'u in the middle of the Park. Don't know if the offending mosquito was here, Kona side which I visited last week, or Akaka Falls, which I also visited last week. Slather on the DEET, cover up when working outside.
Gypsy plant with purple leaves, caught my attention.

Compare:

dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/species/miconia/
Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...-increases

218 and counting.......
DOC sez:
As of January 15, 2016*:

Since the last update, HDOH has identified 5 new cases of dengue fever. Currently, as many as 5 of the confirmed cases to date are potentially infectious to mosquitoes. All others are no longer infectious.

Potentially infectious individuals: 5 Illness onset 1/6/16 – 1/8/16
Cases no longer infectious: 218 Illness onset 9/11/15 to 1/4/16
Past and present confirmed cases (Cumulative TOTAL: 223
Of the confirmed cases, 201 are Hawaii Island residents and 22 are visitors.
181 cases have been adults; 42 have been children (<18 years of age). Onset of illness has ranged between 9/11/15 – 1/8/16.

As of today, a total of 893 reported potential cases have been excluded based on test results and/or not meeting case criteria.

maps at http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/dengue-outbreak-2015/

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>