Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Could a new fungus ever be created, evolve, mutate, or be even possible due to leaking deep drilled wells or geothermal brine fluids, oil, gas, steam, heat, or waste?

No.
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Could a new fungus ever be created, evolve, mutate, or be even possible due to leaking deep drilled wells or geothermal brine fluids, oil, gas, steam, heat, or waste?

No.

It would make a great "B" sci fi movie, though. A bad "B" movie, unless it went over the top like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
That was a good one Vancouver, Along with animal house, the jerk, or caddie shack, One of my all-time favorite stupid movies to watch is the attack of the killer tomatoes.
Found yet another pretty good reading article with pictures and possible preventative tips regarding our Rapid Ohia death.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/reg...a-wilt.xml

Question here.
Would losing our rain forest dominant tree (Ohia) have an affect on our weather? Could Puna become dryer in the years to come due to this fungus poisoning?

Some old timers have told me that places like kawaihai or Kona use to recieve much more rain when they had more trees a couple hundred years ago, any truth to that?.

"Some old timers have told me that places like kawaihai or Kona use to recieve much more rain when they had more trees a couple hundred years ago, any truth to that?. "

You have freinds thet where alive 200 yers agoo ?

Teel usuns moor !?
Obie, good evening.
Much of what has taken place on this island or these islands over the past several centuries was passed down via dance,prayers,and elders. My friends I was referring to are Hawaiian from the kona side. So they probably (my guess) speak of what was told or passed down to them from their kupuna(elder, grandparents). Maybe the old sandalwood or koa tree forest would have attracted more rainfall, just not sure though?.
If there were more trees, then I suspect it's somewhat more likely it was because there was more rain, not the other way round.
likely it was because there was more rain

Almost as if the climate were changing.
There is some truth to what gypsy is saying about a loss of trees affecting weather patterns. Loss of trees causes a increased heat on sunny days creates a change in convection currents. It may (or may not) be enough to change the amount of rainfall. Certainly a change in the amount of rainfall can cause a loss of trees.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Great to see them collecting Ohia seed before it may be to late. Maybe some hard hit ohia tree stands could use replanting before the invasives take over?

http://bigislandnow.com/2016/02/08/uh-sc...hia-trees/

The ohia wilt may kill small ohia shoots and even ohia seeds, hope they are collecting seeds from uninfected trees.
I have quite a few trees dying now on my Orchidland property.
I'm wondering how long I can wait before harvesting these trees for posts before they are too hard to skin or start to rot?
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.