Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albizia assassins

Actually, the dead ones weigh so much less than the live ones, its the other way around. plus, the dead ones drop off bits of branches at a time instead of the entire tree falling over.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Actually, the dead ones weigh so much less than the live ones, its the other way around. plus, the dead ones drop off bits of branches at a time instead of the entire tree falling over.

They do both, first the side branches drop off starting with twigs on the very tips, eventually there is just the main trunk left and once it get too bug eaten to stand on its own it will fall over. But at that point it is about the weight of a big piece of balsa wood. During Iselle we had 3 foot diameter dead standing trunks from a neighboring lot fall over and hit our fences, they did less damage than the much smaller side branches that fell from live trees.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

P-Menehune: "As for the LFA, with all due respect, that sounds like an attempt to scare people into thinking the two are surely correlated."

Kalakoa: "Albizia, LFA, coffee borer beetle, small hive beetle, rhino beetle, dengue: all of these infestations are symptomatic of resource mismanagement by State and County. In this way they are definitely related; all of them should have been dealt with long ago."

Rather than address Menehune's actual statement, Kalakoa changes the meaning by switching "correlated" for "related" in order to take the opportunity to repeat himself for approximately the 4,000th time.

He guys I haven't posted in eons - too much rancor as noted above! But to each their own, just don't "name drop"! Mahalo!
cut them all down for crying out loud
The original Menehune: "...just don't "name drop"!"

"name drop",...right. I'm sure everyone got their menehune mixed up with the Menehune who hasn't posted in a long time. Thank goodness we have that cleared up.

ETA: more Menehune.
PrismaticMenehune is what is known as a troll. Do not feed trolls.
Hey all, I was here during Iselle and plenty of large trees came down nearby, but I still feel this way. Maybe I'm just crazy. I guess I just feel the risk is less than the reward of the beauty and other benefits these trees provide (see previous posts). People still live in Oregon and Washington despite the fact the Cascadia fault could cause incredible damage any day now (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/0...ly-big-one). Natural disasters happen.

Sorry some of you think I'm a troll; that was not intended. I wanted to alert people to the fact that the BIISC will be poisoning the massive trees near Lava Tree and the consensus, at least among Puna webbers appears to favor that action. This is a community and I believe that the majority should be respected (though there are times when that can have negative consequences). So, carry on. Thanks for all the replies.

Edited for grammar.
"I wanted to alert people to the fact that the BIISC will be poisoning the massive trees near Lava Tree"

Past tense,they did it yesterday.

State Forestry is in there almost every time I drive by there.
For those who are questioning the intentions of PrismaticMenehune....

This member is entitled to his/her opinions, just as you are.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I stand corrected on your presence during the storm. However amongst the Iselle survivors I have spoken to, you are the first pro-albezia voice I have heard.

On a related note, people will never cease to amaze and confound me.