Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Big Island Launch site ?
quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1
Kodiak Launch facility.

I thought that was a military site, didn't know it was state. It seemed to make some sense as an anti-ballistic missile site location. The reason for the high cost of Alaska is everything has to be imported. A launch pad with a gantry isn't anything without extensive support facilities. Doesn't seem all that marketable for commercial launches. This bill is only for a study, and more for tourism than just commercial and military satellite launches. Space ports are following electronics, becoming very small and streamlined. A 500 acre ranch could be a space port resort by 2050.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
@ pahoated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodiak_Launch_Complex

One thing I did learn from that article is that there have been more launches than I had thought.
But, I'm still not convinced it has been a good investment for state money.

Fine, let the Federales or private sources do it.
Of what benefit will a study be?
I see it as a wasted few hundred thousand to possibly millions that will do nothing except say: "Yeah, we want it".
It would be cheaper to just pass a resolution saying the same thing.
The money would be better spent on other things, such as strippers for the mayor.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
quote:
Originally posted by viviansuet

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES H.B. NO. 2263
TWENTY-EIGHTH LEGISLATURE, 2016 H.D. 1 STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII: SECTION 1. Hawaii has long been recognized as an ideal location for the launching of spacecraft due to its geographic location. This is especially true of Hawaii island, which is unrivaled in the United States for equatorial launches of spacecraft, particularly small satellites, due to its global position. The development of a small satellite launch and processing facility on Hawaii island has tremendous economic potential for both Hawaii island and the State of Hawaii.
The legislature finds that there is private-sector interest in locating small satellite launch and processing facilities in Hawaii. As a potential emerging economic sector, the legislature finds that there is a need for an economic assessment study of the development of small satellite launch and processing facilities on the island of Hawaii to determine the economic viability of such an endeavor.
The purpose of this Act is to appropriate moneys to conduct an economic assessment of the establishment of a small satellite launch and processing facility on the island of Hawaii.
SECTION 2. There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $ or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2016-2017 for the purpose of conducting an economic assessment study on the development and economic viability of a small satellite launch and processing facility on the island of Hawaii. The study shall be conducted by the department of business, economic development, and tourism, in conjunction with the Pacific international space center for exploration systems and Hawaii Island Economic Development Board, Inc.
The sum appropriated shall be expended by the department of business, economic development, and tourism for the purposes of this Act.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
Report Title: Small Satellites; Launch and Processing Facility; Appropriation
Description: Appropriates funds for the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism to conduct an economic assessment study on the development and economic viability of a small satellite launch and processing facility on the Island of Hawaii. (HB2263 HD1)

The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.

I think it's a great idea to stimulate the economy, but would like to see detailed location information as to where a debris field would occur in the event of an accident during or after launch and have the location situated so that it minimizes dangers to the population centers.
Somehow I would think an area as large as the old Morse Field and surrounding area, based on how much land NASA has as launch and buffer at Cape Canaveral. Have bothe vertical, and standard runway take off with general path westerly, so the currents would bring back a water landing, crane haul back up similar to past operations.

Community begins with Aloha
The purpose of this Act is to appropriate moneys to conduct an economic assessment of the establishment of a small satellite launch and processing facility on the island of Hawaii.

There's the economic stimulus. Safe bet that actual construction never happens, so other important issues (such as "where to put the debris field") aren't relevant.
AlohaDave,

"I think it's a great idea to stimulate the economy, but would like to see detailed location information as to where a debris field would occur in the event of an accident during or after launch and have the location situated so that it minimizes dangers to the population centers."

Although I doubt a satellite launch site will ever be built in Hawaii, there is only one realistic area it could be built, and that's somewhere in Ka'u. There are two important considerations: 1) it would need to be built on the east coast and 2) it would need to be built in a remote area.

1) Satellite launches are always done to the east and if possible as near to the equator as possible. The rotation of the earth gives a boost to the launcher and satellites' velocity and so you want to launch on the east side of a land mass with plenty of ocean available if the rocket fails shortly after launch. Launching a rocket over a populated area is a big no no for obvious reasons. (The rotational speed of the earth is fastest at the equator hence the reason you want to be as close as possible to the equator).

2) The launch site itself has to be remote enough that a failure (read "explosion") on launch is contained within the launch site and does not affect a populated area.

A remote area on the Ka'u coast is the only area I can think of on the island that might meet both these requirements.
So, we're back to the "Hawaiian Riviera Spaceport" of the 1990's?
Leilaniguy - could you help me out? I'm not that familiar with the history of proposed space ports here so am not sure what you mean by "Hawaiian Riviera Spaceport". Thanks for any additional info or links you have.
OK, I found this (it was before I arrived on the island):

http://www.environment-hawaii.org/?p=3763

Is this what you were referring to? I've only given it a brief scan so far.
To those that believe there would be no economic stimulus:

Beyond Construction....
Consider each employee hired and the amount they spend each year with local businesses and the taxes they pay to support local government.

Then of course, consider the tourism factor.
People like to watch spacecraft lift-off.
if marketed properly it could be a real boon to the local economy