Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliances
Have bought many appliances at Sears over the years (tools too), but in Hilo, what you see available on the floor or advertised may NOT be available. We needed a new washer machine, so off to Sears, perused the offerings, picked out our choice, waited for service, wife went back to car, continued to wait. After another 20 minutes, was helped, only to to told machine was not in stock - in fact non in that price range (lower end) were immediately available. I left. Went back later in week, this time the next higher priced model was being advertised - we decided on it. Had to be ordered from Oahu warehouse - oops, not there either. This was 08/26, machine was finally delivered next to last week of October.
It does work well, though Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
I bought most of my major appliances at Sears. The fridge I bought started rusting a few months later. (yes, I waxed it) The serviceman who came was surley and foul-mouthed, told me Sears "would no longer cover rust, what do you expect, it's Puna" though he did replace it. I don't know if that's true or if it was just his shibai, but since then I dropped the service agreements and now use Colin at Puna appliance to do my repairs, and so far it has cost me less than the service agreement. Another annoying thing about Hilo Sears is that their parts dept. is not in the store, but 2 blocks away on Pohaku, and not that easy to get to..

I had a problem with my new Sears fridge. The freezer door would unexpectedly open in the middle of the night resulting in things thawing out, wasting energy and frosting everything up.

The Sears repairman was nice enough when he told me there was really nothing he coould do. No way to adjust the door. That I needed to smear vasoline on the gaskets regularly to make them stick.

Geez. Never had an appliance that I needed to"groom" regularly....

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Geez - you guys are all so awesome. I'm sitting out here in PA, feeling sorry for myself a little, in this empty room, waiting for the latest snow storm to come blowing in, shivering in my three layers of clothes. I check in to see if anyone's answered my posting - and wow! 14!!! Now, I've got a nice, warm, cheezy smile on my face. Can't wait to get on that plane!!!!

I was wondering about rust the other day - I do think of strange things from time to time - wondering if I'll suffer from it like I did living one block up from Kailua Beach on Oahu.... Even being as far inland as we are there in Fern Acres, I'll be dealing with rust on my frig door??? How is that stainless job doing for you Buzz? Is it holding up any better??? Maybe I should re-consult Consumer Reports...

I've nearly always bought my appliances from Sears, but I do know their supply is limited - and I want gas run, where applicable. Gal I talked to there, said gas appliances would take two weeks to come in from Oahu.... so if the little guy has something comparable in his store, I'd rather deal with that.

Thanks so much for all the input. It's greatly appreciated! Hurry up Mella! We got some partying to do! Smile I'll definitely check out J& J - as well as Modern.

16 days and a wake up!

Cat

Cat
I think it's been raining way too hard these past few days for anything to rust Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Ha! Ha!

Just remember - it's better than snow!!! Smile

Hey Cat 16 days and a wakeup!!! HAHA what military? I'm a Navy brat myself. Hey I'm ready for the party! Shouldn't really complain but the warm rain in No Cal from the pineapple express storm gave us 2 1/2 inches in 24 hours. Our clay soil has problems with that much. LOL Doesn't hold a candle to Puna~ The thing is it has been followed by a Canadian storm like a windy express off a glacier. Yow!

Finished one of my heavier commitments today Yeah! I'd be there tomorrow if it was up to me. Ok all I'll be hangin in here thinking about Cat and snow with 3 layers, and you all on island grinning and planning that next big party. REALLY I'm gettin there as fast as I can and Gene is making mucho progresso also! Aloha, Mella L Say what appliances?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Actually, I was in the Nav, and Doug, my other half was in the Corps for 12. It comes out on occassion!!!

I've got a dear friend down in the San Joaquin Valley that has been experiencing some of that rain - or rather flash flooding - you've been getting! No fun! But it beats snow any day!!!

When are you expecting to get over to Puna "for real'???

Appliances... well, I told our wonderful builder not to bother putting in any of them as I really wanted to pick them out myself. So, I'll get there on the 17th, and on the 18th, I'll be doing the mad dash all around Hilo, filling the list - frig, stove, washer and dryer, over the range micro and dishwasher. Not much!!! Smile After that comment about stainless, I'm thinking it just might be worth the extra money to go that way. I've had fridge doors get those rust spots - in New Hampshire!

They sure don't make things like they used to!

Well, guess I'll go help Doug get ready for work. He flies out early in the morning for Mexico - must be nice! I'll be shoveling off the deck tomorrow morning!!!

Thinking warm fuzzy thoughts back in PA...

PunaCat

The stoves and refrigerators we have put in one rental house in HPP do not last nearly as long as the ones in our A/C house in Louisiana. I think the first ones we bought were Roper brand and I was not at all happy with how soon they had to be replaced, but it may have been the climate or the lack of care rather than the brand. We bought the last ones from Sears. The other house is "2-story" (open first floor)and in a more open area (less humid) and the appliances last much better.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
One last question on this topic and then I'll quit.

Called Sears and asked them if I could order online and pick them up in Hilo when I arrive. Nope. I was told that Sears Online did not do business with Sears in Hawaii. (I just knew that would be too easy.)

Lowes seems (seems) to have a better selection over in Kona when it comes to appliances - does anyone know if they deliver over to Hilo? I'd look pretty silly with a washer and dryer strapped to the roof of my rental....

PunaCat