Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County offer?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Although I have never met him, I have met 2 of his sons and his wife. Very nice people.

Thanks leilanidude for clarifying that for me - I guess I have my answer. The mind boggles...
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

The soundproofing has already been done - that's why there is now almost no sounds emanating out from the plant!

try walking up and down both sides of Hinalo sometime - let me know how it goes. i jog it weekly and it is always very noisy!
gypsy
"...Unfortunately we didn't have the same million dollar insurance policies on our ohia trees that Richard Ha had on his banana trees..."

What do you base this statement on, that Richard Ha has (or collected, by inference) million dollar policies on plants? There is crop insurance, but it's for natural disasters limited to weather, not disease or nutritional deficiencies. ROD is islandwide and not limited to the PGV surroundings. Fly from Waimea to Puna along the slopes of Mauna Kea, far from any geothermal haze, and you see it from makai to mauka.

You're bringing up something so inaccurate (crop insurance) and so irrelevant (ROD) that it would seem you want to change the subject. Of your own thread. On the 7th page.
Hilopuna, mahalo to you for the added discussion on this County-Geothermal buyout issue.

Its really bad luck for puna or the big island for that matter, That you " hilopuna" weren't around these parts 5-7 years ago. Those waimea to puna fly overs you refer too now days for your perspective, were needed badly out here in lower puna several years ago.
We heard from many folks from different agencies throughout Hawaii county like helco, dlnr, geothermal, U.H.H forest dept, and our mayors office" Kevin" that repeatedly told us there was no funding available for such simple fly-overs like you are referring too. Helco knew of this dying Ohia tree situation around the geothermal power plant since 2011, when I first called them and others.

Helco does power line inspections and equipment flyovers in this geothermal- leilani estates- power line road every three months( 3-4 times a year ). Helco chose to ignore my ohia tree concerns and did not help our communities Ohia trees with any time, pictures, or ohia-care flyovers, every three months. They operated and landed into these "ROD" infected warned areas every three months further spreading this "ROD" around my home and subdivision,Jmo.

Hilopuna,please take no offense personally from my many opinions and or complaints regarding This ohia tree wilt or Ormats geothermal operations. I have been growing very upset and concerned over the years, watching the environmental disaster that has been happening around our home and neighborhood.

very upset and concerned over the years, watching the environmental disaster that has been happening

Does the disaster move more slowly when it's being carefully watched?

Will the ohia grow back if blame is assigned?

What about this forum post? Can it be used to inoculate against the ROD?

Maybe ... do something? I'm planting some nice trees in case all my ohia die off. It doesn't blame anyone for the problem, or seek a Federal bailout, but it takes care of the reforestation of my property...
Helco does power line inspections and equipment flyovers in this geothermal- leilani estates- power line road every three months( 3-4 times a year ). Helco chose to ignore my ohia tree concerns and did not help our communities Ohia trees with any time, pictures, or ohia-care flyovers, every three months. They operated and landed into these "ROD" infected warned areas every three months further spreading this "ROD" around my home and subdivision,Jmo.

--

Those helicopter flyovers checking electrical lines have LINEMEN on them, not ARBORISTS. The next time you see a union HELCO lineman crew, please go up to them and voice your accusations.

I find it odd that you complain about HELCO helicopter flyovers, yet complain that the government didn't do flyovers. Do only HELCO flyovers spread ROD? Which is it that is OK and which isn't?
Leilanidude, good afternoon to you.
You have a valid point here. Any helicopter flyover by anyone including helco, that was low enough to snap, crack, or break any Ohia branches or twigs. Even to the size of a needle around the geothermal power plant during the last 5 years, did help contribute to the wildfire spreading of this "ROD" outbreak,jmo.

P.S. Just as we are concerned about the Ohia tree's cause of death, we are also very concerned about our children's health in the near future.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archiv...ie/267322/

The area in lower puna surrounding the geothermal power plant should and would be an ideal area to launch a few of these types of people health studies. We do have several communities living within the recent collection of dead Ohia trees,jmo.

Any helicopter flyover by anyone including helco, that was low enough to snap, crack, or break any Ohia branches or twigs... around the geothermal power plant during the last 5 years

How many wind storms of 45 MPH or more have we had in the last 5 years? At least 5? Iselle alone probably did more to snap, crackle, & pop Ohio branches than a fleet of HELCO choppers could have done.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Hotpe, you are correct we have had a slue of wind storms in lower puna recently.
The wind storms may have contributed to the spread of the ROD from lower puna. Lower puna has also had a significant increase of geothermal production in our area since 2009. At least one very large geothermal production well was found to be severely leaking for some time, so they drilled another well a year ago. These types of prolonged geothermal leaks may cause environmental impacts, especially to the closest in proximity, or to the most sensitive first. Jmo

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/magazi....html?_r=0

Sorry folks I may need some type of proof that geothermal power plant operations or leaking wells can't cause environment damage like sudden tree death before I can dismiss it.
Anyone have any links to any of the past health or environmental studies that may have been done around our geothermal power plant in question?
Would our puna geothermal use any added chemicals like Benzene or use other types of oil that may leak into our environment?
These types of prolonged geothermal leaks may cause environmental impacts

Have you ever considered that the Rift Zone itself, rather than just the geothermal plant, might contribute something to the air quality in the area? When one considers that there are shallow pockets of stored magma up and down the rift and the myriad of cracks and fissures, as well as all the recent vents around there, I imagine there's some measurable amount of volcanic gasses that are leaching from the ground on a regular basis. Yes? No? All told wouldn't one be putting themselves at risk of potential health effects just by living on the rift without the added effects of the geothermal plant?