Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County offer?
chemicals like Benzene

Do you ever fill up your car with gasoline, from a distance of a few inches away, while you worry about whether another petroleum product, benzene, might maybe, could be used but probably not at PGV two miles away?

If you look around your garage will you find gasoline for a lawn mower, weed wacker, or chain saw, along with other petrochemical products such as oil, brake fluid, paint thinner, turpentine...

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Using Gypsy's logic, unless he can provide proof he didn't start ROD, then that possibility can't be dismissed.
Gypsy

"...Its really bad luck for puna or the big island for that matter, That you " hilopuna" weren't around these parts 5-7 years ago..."

This is another assumption on your part that is pure "gypsy". I was living behind the cinder cone in '74, long before PGV was built. When Pu'u O'o went off in 83 I lived less than 3 miles from it, the noise, fountains and stench were hellish wonders to behold. Everyone I knew who moved to Puna knew what we were getting into living below, on, or near the rift. People who make those choices need to "own" their decisions. Most I knew from those days moved on for various reasons, some having to do with health from the volcanic emissions. This was common in the mid to late 80's. AGAIN, long before PGV.

This is a really old story.

BTW; you have anything to backup your comment regarding Richard Ha and his "million dollar insurance"?
Thank you dakine for the reality check Again, sometimes I feel like Dory.

What you wrote about gasses possibly leaching from cracks and fissures on this rift zone does make some sense to me. This "ROD" interestingly enough was noticed around or near several area steam vents before running down powerline roads, common vehicle roads, and highways. I took notes of this "ROD" the first couple of years, because I was convinced it was different than the past Ohia die-offs most would refer too. Although i did notice it around lavatree-geothermal area first, I also saw an early cluster of ROD between the Opihikao steam vents and Sanford's hillside cinder or aggregate material pits.

Before the hurricane the morning steam or gasses in this area was much worse than it is today. I say that because our yard here in leilani literally use to be in a steam or gas cloud (at least 50-100 mornings) before that storm and geothermal blowout. It would be so bad At times we wouldn't be able to see the many trees in the back yard or have our boys run in the mornings. Folks like Obie here on the PW would write in to us that we were seeing or experiencing a natural volcanic phenomena. The build up around 2-6 a.m a few mornings around here acted like an inversion layer that would reach out as far as the acres or even keaau at times. Not anymore though, like some miracle it has all just dried up and went away after that incredible storm.

Really I am not sure how much water the geothermal power plant needs or uses a day anymore, it may be in the millions of gallons due to the recent production increases. If the geothermal power plant is reinjecting this amount of daily water usage and waste back into the ground below us or just over the magma chamber would this evaporate, stay put, or possibly make a return trip back up to the surface as what? Could it change aquifer or soil temp?
Would leaked steam, gasses, or excess or even lost geothermal production be able to make its way to the surface through these mentioned steamvents in the area?

Anyway my parents decided to raise me on this volcano rift zone before geothermal moved into our backyard, I didn't have much say back then. I can still remember the days prior to geothermal here in puna, although not as vividly as the day the 1 in a thousand geothermal accident happened. That geothermal blowout in june of 1991 should have been filmed like the kapoho eruption was filmed decades earlier.

I believe most of the entire east rift zone is now contaminated, both the water and soil. I also believe engineers and others brought geothermal operation concerns like this up just after that 1991 geothermal blowout. Pretty sure The DLNR and state ignored or dismissed these concerns. Of course these are only my opinions.

The wind storms may have contributed to the spread of the ROD from lower puna.

Sounds like "natural causes".

This "ROD" interestingly enough was noticed around or near several area steam vents before running down powerline roads, common vehicle roads, and highways.

By some coincidence, these "roads" and "highways" usually include removal of trees, which creates natural "tunnels" for the wind.

If the geothermal power plant is reinjecting this amount of daily water usage and waste back into the ground below us or just over the magma chamber

If only there were some "documentation" that explained how the geothermal plant "worked".

so bad At times we wouldn't be able to see the many trees in the back yard

There's always moving elsewhere. Nobody "forced" you to live there, just like nobody "forced" me to buy into a subdivision with substandard roads.
Gypsy, since you were in contact with Dr. Friday on the chia dieback early on, I am sure you have knowledge that the RODS dieback is from the fungus 'Ceratocystis fimbriata'

I am sure that you realize that the research that has been done has shown the the spread of RODS has been most likely due to the transport of diseased logs, chips & tools (ESP CHAINSAWS & VEHICLES) that were used in diseased areas & then outside of diseased areas.

I am sure that you are aware that they have found this fungus within the core samples of RODS effected chia. Why do you try to connect RODS with so many other things? Is it not bad enough that they are effected by a fungus that rapidly depletes their nutrient carrying capacity, almost as if they had been girdled?

I know that you have had access to the data, but will again direct you, and anyone that has not had access, to the research sites:
CTAHR:
http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/di..._wilt.html
HDCA:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/wp-content/upload...Poster.pdf
OIS:
http://www.oahuisc.org/rapid-ohia-death-2/
http://www.oahuisc.org/sick-ohia-trees-h...hia-death/

And that about wraps things up here ladies and gentlemen.

ROD is not caused by PGV, aliens, Hellco, MK telescopes, GMOs, steam vents, chemtrails, tourists in helicopters, police in helicopters, linemen in helicopters, helicopters, roosters, loose dogs, coquis or Fukushima.

CTAHR:
http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/di..._wilt.html
HDCA:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/wp-content/upload...Poster.pdf
OIS:
http://www.oahuisc.org/rapid-ohia-death-2/
http://www.oahuisc.org/sick-ohia-trees-h...hia-death/
The ROD may be a unique killer fungi, never seen any other place in the world but the Big Island. Possibly a fungus that mutated because of environmental changes in the area?

ROD may be a unique killer fungi, never seen any other place in the world but the Big Island.

gyspy - why don't you ask your son to sign up for Botany 101 as a science requirement at Princeton. Then, in one of the class lectures he can ask his professor about your "killer fungi" theory. That should provide you with a fairly definitive answer that you can't seem to find here on Punaweb. Please let us know what you find out in September.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Possibly a fungus that mutated because of environmental changes in the area?

Maybe fewer expensive lawsuits against the State would mean more money for CTAHR to research the fungus?