Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie Theaters
Went to a movie in Hilo the other night. Man, was it packed. One set of Movie theaters for the entire east side of the island. I guess that is the norm.

Makes me wish we had a set of theaters in Puna.
What about a drive in?

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
We really miss the kress theaters, our kids miss the once a week family movie night in town too. We did as a family go watch finding Dory last week which was nice and loud, good kids movie. I found out how expensive it has become for a family to watch a movie together in hilo these days, to much. I think we dropped or spent $60 on movie tickets alone before another $30 or $40 on the yummy keiki necessities. The Kress theaters use to have $1.00 movie nights with good deals on other items like hotdogs for .50 cents. If Anyone knows or hears of any movie deals" especially keiki deals" being offered at our local movie theater, please share info or details here on this thread. mahalo..
What about a drive in?

I've been thinking "portable drive-in" using a projector out the back of a pickup truck, with FM transmitter for the audio (no noise, no reason for neighbors to call HPD).

[quote]Originally posted by kalakoa

What about a drive in?

I've been thinking "portable drive-in" using a projector out the back of a pickup truck, with FM transmitter for the audio (no noise, no reason for neighbors to call HPD).

Just put up a big screen down at Uncle Roberts Lava parking and you're there
We have a version of this style of movie screen, and my HDMI projector. We watch our movies in the garden, away from the hustle and bustle. Sort of an ad hoc drive in for us, and our friends.

https://www.amazon.com/Airblown-39121-32...B000TLDCRS
We have the World's Best Theater in Honoka'a!!!!

I heart the People's Theater [Big Grin]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyFeUtFeQQU

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

If Anyone knows or hears of any movie deals" especially keiki deals" being offered at our local movie theater, please share info or details here on this thread. mahalo..

Apparently Regal Prince Kuhio is showing $1 kids movies on (I believe) Tuesdays and Wednesdays all summer. Definitely Wednesdays. My friend has taken her two kids every week and I'm going to start going myself next week. Not quite sure how it works - but there's 2 kids movies each day, I think just one or two showtimes each at this price. I can't figure it out by the website, but that's what she tells me. She said it wasn't crowded at all.
Kona has Makalapua and Keahou Regal Theaters. Total of 17 screens I think. East Hawaii got one theater with multiple screens. Palace is great, but more for the art house crowd.

don't seem like there's a chance the new Puna Kai shopping center will have any means for family entertainment. HPP should have their own shopping center. Wasn't there one planned for Orchidland? There really is no opportunity for PM family entertainment in Puna. Just want take the fam to see a movie every now and then without having to drive all the way to Hilo.
The Kress, like many other budget theaters, closed when film distributors switched to a digital only formats which required investment in expensive equipment. Small town theaters all over the country shut down as a result. The chances of anyone opening a new theater in Puna are slim to none, because legitimate distribution is limited to the new expensive format and it isn't technically legal to just plug into an HDMI projector to show movies for money. Summer youth programs, schools and preschools do it all the time, but are also technically engaging in theft of intellectual property. Too bad, the Akebono would be a great place for family movie nights once a week or even one weekend a month as a community fundraiser for some non profit like the Pahoa clinic.