Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone hear the noise on Kaloli pt last night?
About 11:45pm and 3:30am. Sounded like it could have been fireworks or gunshots. I listened for dogs thinking it may have been pig hunters but didn't hear any barking either time.
It was very weird.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I don't remember the time other than it well beyond midnight. I was trying to fall asleep and got startled by three rapid gunshots. It sounded as though they came from Beach or A road near the intersection with K road.

I called 911 and my neighbor called 935-3311. Neither of us have heard any news since.

They did not sound like fireworks.
The last "set" sounded like "pop,pop,pop,hissssss" the hissing sound is what made me think of fireworks.
Oh, I did hear a vehicle around 30 minutes after the second round.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Although I can't rule out the possibility the noise was due to fireworks, unfortunately I've heard enough gunshots here I'm pretty confident I can tell the difference. The shots were pretty close to my house and loud. I didn't hear the hiss.

The dispatcher asked if they could have been from the Shipman parking lot at the end of Beach, and I said I couldn't rule it out but didn't think it was. My neighbor, who is a little closer to the parking lot, said the shots definitely didn't come from there.

To be honest, I thought I'd wake up Monday morning to see a thread about the shots here and was surprised there wasn't. I'm sure my neighbor and I weren't the only people to call the police.

Edited to fix typos
We're on Beach Rd, near Kaloli. I heard the three shots at 3:33 a.m. Thought they were coming from the direction of the point. Neighborhood dogs barking off an on for the next 20 minutes. Just after 4:00 the HPD vehicles starting cruising up and down Beach and Pilikai like they were looking for something.
I posted this on an HPP Fbook page Sunday morning. Nobody seems to know anything about it.
Thank you, TW, and welcome to PW!

Hey, thanks! Been lurking on PW for several years now....decided to finally move here and make it real. I'll try to be good....
"I listened for dogs thinking it may have been pig hunters but didn't hear any barking either time"

A lot of pig hunters use dogs, but none of the pig hunters I know do.
TW - are you a member of PAKA? It's the local neighborhood watch and is doing a great job. If you're interested and haven't already joined, let me know. Membership doesn't require you to take part in patrols or anything like that, but it's a good way to stay informed and also get to know your neighbors!