Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County offer?
I think you should move to Eugene, OR. It's like a really big Pahoa (legal pakalolo, Democrats are considered conservatives, vegan/non GMO restaurants, etc), but the (seriously) cheap electricity comes from hydro.

...we are everywhere...
...we are everywhere...
quote:
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...nding-down
At least this is coming to an end. That settlement never said "IN PERPETUITY". In fact, the wording of the settlement indicates it expired under Governor Cyatano. Interesting that 25 withdrew or didn't respond. It's only carried on this far because the county council made it part of the county code.

That money is the property of all Puna, not a small band that deliberately chose to live around PGV. More evidence of the raging hypocrisy, when the lava was flowing, it was urgent to get these buyouts at 130% of assessed value completed, now as the housing prices are starting to go back up, not such an urgent issue. And the main lack of connection is what did that have to do with PGV "sickening" everything around a 10 mile radius?

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
PTed, mahalo for sharing.

Interesting Indeed Pted, 25 of the 29 names on the relocation list were dropped by the county planning departent "OUR MAYOR" for not responding or excepting the MAYOR'S county offers. The County offers may have been Lower than expected or told, they also may not have provided any actual relocation help needed for the folks on the original list. Those folks who were dropped for not responding will have to resign onto the new geothermal relocation list with new "dates". The new relocation list may eventually look like the old relocation list, plus a more. jmo.

That article was terribly lopsided by the county planning dept. Why not interview just a few of the many who were on this geothermal relocation list for years? The Tribune H, back in 2013, printed all the names of the folks on the geothermal list and their ADDRESSES. The TH reporter "TOM Callis" knew where these folks lived, yet chose to avoid the tough questions or get the real answers from the side of those on the list.

Most of the folks on that geothermal relocation list have been on that list for years if not decades already. Many were put through yet another geothermal "HELCO" blowout or planned release during TS Eselle in 2014. Those who were on the relocation list before the blowout may have wanted or needed help relocating for years if not decades but Instead they were made victims once again during TS Eselle.

We have been on this relocation list since 2013. We did not buy our home 3 miles from geothermal in hopes to be bought out by the county from this program. We actually bought our home in 99' in hopes of living close to both of our parents and the places we were raised. This was also before most of The geothermal production expansions and we purposely made sure to be more than that 1 mile from the plant. We were led to believe at that time of "99" that the danger or impact zone from the Ormat power plant was roughly 1 mile. Our Attitudes towards geothermal operations began to change after a few more geothermal accidents that required evacuations and or affected folks health and safety up to 10 miles away from the power plant.

The Mayor helped change some of the relocation programs rules and the programs intentions without hearing or considering the concerns from the folks who would be ultimately impacted by these important changes. If one wanted to negotiate the "one-time" county relocation buyout offer they needed to lobby their county Council members "Illagan and Peleka" in hopes they would be able to move the mayor in your direction, " pretty bleak chances really". jmo

Edited to add or correct.

quote:
Originally posted by b_a

I think you should move to Eugene, OR. It's like a really big Pahoa (legal pakalolo, Democrats are considered conservatives, vegan/non GMO restaurants, etc), but the (seriously) cheap electricity comes from hydro.

...we are everywhere...

...plus Kona prices for real estate with low wage jobs, and no sales tax is balanced out with sky high property and income taxes. My kid brother is paying $1500 a month for a tiny 2 bedroom house in between the homeless shelter and the railroad tracks where someone got stabbed to death last week virtually on his backdoor step. Why the heck would anyone leave Puna for Eugene? The migration seems to be mostly the other way.
low wage jobs, and no sales tax

Oregon is considering a "gross receipts tax" on business...
"We have been on this relocation list since 2013. We did not buy our home 3 miles from geothermal in hopes to be bought out by the county from this program. We actually bought our home in 99' in hopes of living close to both of our parents and the places we were raised. This was also before most of The geothermal production expansions and we purposely made sure to be more than that 1 mile from the plant. We were led to believe at that time of "99" that the danger or impact zone from the Ormat power plant was roughly 1 mile. Our Attitudes towards geothermal operations began to change after a few more geothermal accidents that required evacuations and or affected folks health and safety up to 10 miles away from the power plant."

"Our Attitudes towards geothermal operations began to change after a few more geothermal accidents that required evacuations and or affected folks health and safety up to 10 miles away from the power plant"

So you are taking the buyout,right !!!

Do you understand that you are driving property values down by claiming that PGV is killing you ?
There was a man in ancient Greece named Aesop who died in 564 BC. He wrote down many fables, many which had been told for generations before he was born. Here's one of them:

There was a Shepherd Boy who tended his sheep at the foot of a mountain near a dark forest. He became bored, so devised a plan to get a little company. He rushed down towards the village calling out “Wolf, Wolf,” and the villagers came out to meet him. This pleased the boy so much that a few days after he tried the same trick, and again the villagers came to his help.

2500 years later and we're still falling for it.

“We’ve got to be as clear-headed about human beings as possible, because we are still each other’s only hope,” James Baldwin to Margaret Mead in the book A Rap On Race
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Obie, I am not claiming the PGV is killing me "YET". Certainly not trying to drive the property values down either.

I am simply "claiming as you say or concerned as I say" the PGV may have been responsible for the deaths of my wife's brother at an early age in life, and also the death of my wife's father. He was never able to return home due to complications caused from the PGV blowout during TS Eselle. I am also concerned the ROD That has so affected my property and family may have been brought and started here due to the PGV'S operations. I am concerned that I, a father of five children, no longer feel the needed safety, protection, or want to live within this geothermal plants impact zone any longer. Also, I am concerned we "MY Family" needed proper help to relocate to a safer district or area and was not helped the way we were led to believe we would be. Those are only a few of the many reasons why we signed up on to this geothermal Relocation list to begin with, years ago.

Obie, can you show me the health or environmental studies of my community that could prove PGV is not responsible for my concerns?
Can you prove that PGV operations are not responsible in some way for our lower property values?
So I don't get it gypsy, are you taking the countys offer or just taking the piss?
KJ, Good afternoon to you and mahalo for the Valid question asked.

We are currently considering or exploring the other options while the county offer stands. We had no prior notification on when the county offer would arrive while obviously thrown a late curve ball when the counties one-time unexpected buyout offer finally arrived. We are currently remaining patient and working hard on the other ways to make this relocation from home a positive opportunity for the family.

The counties geothermal buyout offer is also a scam. The Mayor pushes or votes against our community voices for the increased geothermal productions in our back yards. The extra geothermal operations and the unexpected accidents in return help keep the property values lower than expected around the PGV power plant. Then the county or mayor can come in at an opportunistic time and offer buyouts at a lower geothermal produced taxed assessed value.
Why not offer relocation buyouts equal to the state of Hawaii's Median home value? This would encourage folks wanting relocation to relocate away from the PGV power plant and erase some of that county concern. jmo