Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor Kenoi wants off on a technicality
Technicality???

This type of public theft by government and city reps has been happening for more than a decade. Our Mayor has probably been one of the largest problems for this improper use of public P-card money in the history of using these p-cards. He may have been abusing the system longer than anyone while also illegally spending more than anyone. jmo.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-n...e-1282.php

Some of these others who have been publicly mentioned in this 2008 article probably lost their jobs or positions years ago. Our mayor was warned multiple times about this type of p-card abuse and the possible reprocussions that could stem from this illegal use. Folks like Pted and Hilopuna would gladly give our Mayor a pass because building parks and fixing roads or Bayfront are more important to them than keeping or preserving the Trust of the public. jmo
http://www.slideshare.net/civilbeat/roth...ayor-kenoi

Exhibit A is interesting.

And then on page 9, number 10, and on page 10, number 14, both of which were underlined by our prosecutor, is rather telling of the situation.
Then number 15 on page 10, stating what has to be done for "inadvertent use". Nothing ever says, use this card for your personal stuff.
http://khon2.com/2015/04/15/digging-deep...ard-use-3/

Part-way down the article, is this comment on documentation and receipts:

snipped from the article...

"We’ve seen the credit card statements that landed Big Island Mayor Billy Kenoi in hot water, but what about the receipts from those charges?

Turns out, there aren’t any.

KHON2 and our Always Investigating unit have been digging into the mayor’s expenses ever since he admitted to misusing his pCard, or purchasing card.

It all started with questions about a nearly $900 tab at a Honolulu hostess bar, questions that have now led to an investigation by the state attorney general.

The mayor’s spokesman told Always Investigating Wednesday that besides e-mailed itineraries for flights, hotels or rental cars, there are no receipts for any of Kenoi’s pCard spending as mayor.

The county pCard policy requires cardholders to document all purchases."

The county pCard policy requires cardholders to document all purchases."

When a taxpayer gets their taxes audited, the expense only exists if there is a receipt to prove it. Otherwise it is disallowed.
Edited to add: If Billy were required to follow the same rules as we taxpayers do, he would be required to reimburse the county for every charge without a receipt, legitimate or not.

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

http://www.slideshare.net/civilbeat/roth...ayor-kenoi

Exhibit A is interesting.

And then on page 9, number 10, and on page 10, number 14, both of which were underlined by our prosecutor, is rather telling of the situation.
Then number 15 on page 10, stating what has to be done for "inadvertent use". Nothing ever says, use this card for your personal stuff.

Amen Leilanidude.
So in that case, where did you get your facts from HiloPuna? When I was reading your post where you said, "buy a surf board with the p-card and pay it back (allowed), entertain in a bar with your p-card (allowed)" I was floored. I couldn't believe that was allowed but is it really? Sounds like BS one way or another.
Billy Kenoi is a slimy crook and it's funny how some people like to defend his actions.

If Billy were required to follow the same rules as we taxpayers

Wait. Confused. I thought the rules and laws were for everyone? At all times?
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort
"buy a surf board with the p-card and pay it back (allowed), entertain in a bar with your p-card (allowed)"

Before the surf board becomes another Punatard urban legend, it was for a promising surfer kid from Kalapana to go to a competition on the mainland. It used to be, Mayors could do these kinds of civic duties without a cackle of old biddies starting to squawk about it like it was chicken-little end of the world. The hostess bars were while he was on travel duty and there is variance allowed on eating and snacking places. In his role as Mayor, taking out friends and colleagues an after hour informal business meeting would be expected.

Chin's case is weak. He can accuse theft but if there was no evidence it was intentional, other than paying for the difference out of pocket or payments were delayed, then there is no grounds for the accusation. Chin is really starting to carve an appearance, not a strong one either.

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Apparently, taxes also need to be paid back on all these "inadvertent use" purchases, kind of hard Without proper receipts for all those purchases. Our Mayor finds himself in a similar situation as this other states gov's aide and his excuses are also very similar.

http://www.abqjournal.com/389489/govs-to...state.html

What kind of system does Hawaii county have in place to prevent this type of p-card abuse or inadvertent use?
What kind of system does the state of Hawaii have in place today to help discipline those CAUGHT abusing their p-card?
What kind of system does Hawaii county have in place to prevent this type of p-card abuse or inadvertent use?

Just the rules. That you sign when you get your pCard.

What kind of system does the state of Hawaii have in place today to help discipline those CAUGHT abusing their p-card?

Investigation postponed until after you've lost the next election, after which "no action needed" because you're no longer in office.

In the grand scheme of things, $30K worth of "inappropriate" pCard use is just pocket change compared to taking out bond debt to award no-bid contracts for building parks people don't even want, then increasing tomorrow's property tax burden to hire more workers to maintain those parks...
Get rid of the p-card and go back to old-fashioned expense reports.

I had a p-card for 15 years and used it a lot, but never for me. It was bright yellow so there was no mistaking it for my own charge cards.
Oh, if you used it for personal things, you paid it back and then you were fired.
Puna: Our roosters crow first