Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor Kenoi wants off on a technicality
Oh, if you used it for personal things, you paid it back and then you were fired.

As a taxpayer and someone who runs his own business, I find that method of resolution quite reasonable.

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
kalakoa, HOTPE, gypsy, ElysianFields, leilanidude;

I know staying within your paradigms is a comfortable place to reside, but seriously, are you not paying attention to what has now been published? Yes, it's true, P-cards for rank & file and all but high level appointee's have stricter rules than for the Executive. When you read the slideshare.net link you'll notice that the name on the signature page is the then Finance Director, Nancy Crawford. Remember her, the person quoted further above in this thread when she specifically stated the Mayor was exempted? It makes sense to have that latitude and that's how it was done.

BTW; It would be helpful to gain some sense of proportionality as well. The total amount of "makeup", what I call "ceasar's wife" level reimbursements was app $9k. Over 80+ months = $25/week. Wow, that's Starbucks money.....

she specifically stated the Mayor was exempted?

Exempt from both "requirements" and "disclosure"? In which case, why bother with a "written policy"?

$9k. Over 80+ months = $25/week.

Yes, pocket change compared to the debt load.
but seriously, are you not paying attention

I'm trying. I read a post about pCard regulations, then find Billy is exempted. I read a post about keeping pCard receipts, then find out it doesn't apply to Billy. Only a team of attorneys could follow all of the exceptions, sub-clauses, and other variables written into the rules. I don't think we have a deficit in our attention span, as much as the pCard regulations read like a 50 page iTunes agreement. I get the impression the County just wants us to click "I Agree" so we can get on with the rest of our lives.

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HiloPuna, please show us the exact statute citation or policy component allowing Kenoi to charge personal items such as his bar association dues. If there is no such legally defined exemption then the mayor still has a problem. Just because Nancy Crawford says the mayor is exempted, does that have the force of law or published policy and procedure? Somehow, I don't think that's how it is supposed to work, even in Hawaii County.

Not that he'll be convicted, mind you. There's a good chance that he will walk, but it won't necessarily be because he is innocent. The last time I looked, the Hawaii judiciary was not known for toughness.
"Sounds like BS one way or another"

Elaborating on my own quote here. If the facts aren't true it's BS. If the facts are true, and that type of spending IS indeed allowed, well that's total BS too and something needs to be changed.
Hilopuna brings up a valid point about Nancy Crawford who should also be remembered within this big p-card mess. She decided to resign and stay quiet about the p-card mess or scandal. here is a pretty good article that helps explain how all of this has gone down, including the letter by Mr Hyland.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...yor-kenoi/

Another article here shows just how well some were being taken care of, unfortunately, the public was not.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...pay-raises

Brian Delima thought our mayor position and county council members deserved raises during these p-card infractions. I found it funny that our finance director at the time Nancy Crawford, who may have known about this ongoing p-card abuse, would say "these raises could be absorbed into the budget in another account set aside for compensation adjustments".
gypsy
Nancy retired the month before someone in the Finance department sent a copy of the 2011 P(ersonal)-card statement that contained the notorious bar tab that started this hot mess.

She did not resign to avoid anything.
When was the last time someone saw an auditor's report on a county department?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
When was the last time someone saw an auditor's report on a county department?

Good one. Next thing you know, people will be asking "why does a park cost $50M", or "are roads really $1M/mile".

Right up there with "we didn't raise the property tax rate but these assessment changes will just about cover our raises".

Remember: the problem isn't "corruption", it's that "people are complaining".