Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor Kenoi wants off on a technicality
Whoa, aren't we glad Wally didn't win. Could it get any more corrupt and insane?
IMO, people who have time to complain if others are not 100% on time are ....
B*ing about dotting i / crossing t ....
Ewe go ahead and pay they interest and penalties then

I believe others have asked airportparking about the legitimacy of his/her business, questions s/he has chosen to leave unanswered. I would guess then, the reason for ignoring those inquiries is perhaps that airport(under-the-radar)parking instead chooses to complain about people who do pay their excise tax, with all the time s/he saves by not sitting down to total his/her quarterly sales, fill in the excise tax filing form, write a check, and then (NEW! This year!) mail two separate envelopes to the state, one with the excise form and check, the other to a separate address with a payment voucher. Must be nice, to have a personal paperwork reduction allowance granted to your business operation.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yes, but what did you buy on that date, at that location? I can't just go into Home Depot and buy $1000 worth of stuff

There's no need for itemization where a single large purchase is involved -- such as a surfboard, or a bicycle, or an "evening of adult-themed refreshments".

the parlance of past Punaweb issues, as beating a dead horse.

I think of it as "beating the greasy spot where the horse once stood".
HiloPuna,
Since from your point of view, the entire discussion of Billy and the pCard issue comes down to his exemption, was there really any reason for any of us to read the pCard regulations if they don't apply to people so exempted? Instead of suggesting that some of us have difficulty with our reading comprehension, or our attention span, why not just say there is no need to even glance at the pCard manual, because Billy was exempted?

Simple.
Done.
End of Discussion.

But instead, I read the manual, and find that if the rules did apply to him, he breached protocol dozens of times, under dozens of sections in the manual, making it all the more disturbing that once he received his exemption, perhaps initially for the purpose of simplification and expediting minor expenses, his unchecked arrogance took over his decision making process, with no one to question him about those expenditures. Yes, everyone of those charges can be explained, and a narrative woven to try and create a consistent explanation of events. Which is why we have attorneys, and novelists.

One last question HiloPuna. Do you conduct any business with the county, bid for contracts or offer consulting services? You don't have to answer, and I only ask because it would be the most rational explanation of your staunch defense of Billy throughout this entire issue. Of course maybe you just like the guy and his management style, but I have to admit that's a lot harder for me to believe, or understand.

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thank you RJH for the informative response and da Lau bomb.

This recent article helps explain Mr Lau's stance, excuse, or involvement with Our mayor's p-card spending habits.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/opinion/edito...-taint-lau

Mr Lau apparently knew about the p-card problems or abuse but decided to stay quiet because Mr Kenoi was the mayor, "his Boss".

Leilanidude does raise a great point about the missing receipts. Staying quiet is one "BIG" thing when in a position of power over the public. Another BIG thing would be the hundreds of missing p-card receipts that Mr Lau may have seen or been somewhat responsible for. jmo.
The missing p-card receipts belong to who? Mayor? Governor? government? public?

Any of the receipts turned in, or none of them?

Did any, if any, receipts come hand written, inconsistent, or tampered with?

Is there Anyway to get any fingerprints from any of the mayor's p-card receipts from prior months or years? As to figure out who is or was responsible for overlooking, reading, or handling these p-card receipts?
HOTPE

"..... and find that and find that if the rules did apply to him, he breached protocol dozens of times, under dozens of sections in the manual, making it all the more disturbing..."

But again, he was exempted so why go through the bother of the prospective "if"?

Fair question regarding any commercial or consulting contracts I may have with COH.

No, and never.

I like the guy, a lot. He's intelligent and fun to be with. He's got a great wife and family. To me he sometimes seems more Irish than Hawaiian...gifted, spirited, loquacious with a huge appetite for life. I admire that in him, his energy to transcend the mundane and try to accomplish great things. He has his flaws, but who doesn't ?
This guy tried to run over the police a couple times, got shot three times and he got probation.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...-probation

County government credit card abuse is going to be a hanging offense? Some of you Punatards really need to wake up.

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Very interesting opinions (all of them), and mahalo for the civil dissertations. Lots of food for thought...(kalaloa, you're killing me...lol.)

No doubt, Kenoi screwed up...again. In the bigger picture (in my mind), this effort was designed to take him out of the Governor's race. Additionally, it is my belief, this was designed to remove him from any further political position (ie. Senate, State Rep., etc.).

The staunch support of the Democratic Party (not just local Big Island), which started with Daniel Inouye (who he worked for), has waned. His affiliation with some "undesirable characters" has not helped. The charges are miniscule compared to what other "elected officials" are accused of (nationwide, locally, etc.). The end result is, his political career is over, by his own hand.

Kenoi had his sights set for the Governor seat. No question. If he should survive this scandal (not to mention, the trial), and run again for any seat, and win, it would be an amazing comeback.

He needs to retain his law license. He would be a terrific attorney, for some. His contacts are vast. He has a good education, and people love him.

My aloha lies with his wife and children. She must have a backbone of steel, and continue to hold her head high for the keiki, and her husband. Her graciousness is admirable in such a trying time.

I'm in agreement with many comments here, and HiloPuna has described this situation "to a tee", as it were (*not agreeing with all posted, but the "meat and potatoes").

JMO/FWIW.

ETA: Clarity
He would be a terrific attorney, for some.

I would totally want Teflon Billy defending me, using all the angles...
Kalakoa

Seriously, "Teflon Billy" ??? Jeez, you mean "Velcro Billy"!!!!!

If in reading the papers I thought he was a Slick Willy or a Philadelphia lawyer I'd have to be Crazy! He's offered no explanation, no defense, no spin. Auwae!!!! His attorney raised 'pro forma' objections.

Where's the "Teflon"? Get a grip....