Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
JohnD: "Do we want our properties value go up or down? Has anyone noticed how the real estate value is going in the Big Island? Selling everywhere,but no so hot in HPP? Why? Because buyers stay away from problematic associations!"

Actually, sales data shows HPP is one of the hottest selling subdivisions in Puna. If you don't want to dig out real numbers just look at all the new houses being built, they are not languishing on the market. There are big problems with the HOA in HPP, but buyers are at best minimally aware of that. The crappy roads don't seem to stop buyers either.
Do we want our properties value go up or down?

Yes, let's fix all the problems, property values skyrocket, suddenly we have to move because we can't afford to live here. Great plan.

(Before anyone says "but I already own my house" -- also consider the kinds of neighbors that higher values will bring.)
What is going to take for us to do something really proactive about these endless stupid boards, about the improvement our roads

This is where I usually suggest "sue County, make them take over the roads" ...

... but I'm not sure County would do a better job.
Selling everywhere,but no so hot in HPP? Why? Because buyers stay away from problematic associations!

I cannot walk out my door in the morning without hearing the sound of a D-9 caterpillar ripping an acre of lava either near or far, but somewhere in HPP. I can't drive from my home to Highway 130 on Maku'u, Paradise, or Kaloli without seeing a new lot cleared. Home builders are not avoiding HPP, and neither are home buyers. I think you've been misinformed.

I saw the tracks immediately - they swirled back & forth across the shuffled sand of the path. They seemed the design of indecision, but I am not sure. Mary Oliver
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Home builders are not avoiding HPP, and neither are home buyers.

...and they're all in for a rude surprise when the only highway doesn't keep up with that growth.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Home builders are not avoiding HPP, and neither are home buyers.

...and they're all in for a rude surprise when the only highway doesn't keep up with that growth.

I don't think the homebuilders care, they just want to build and sell.
Last week a couple who will be commuting to Hilo closed on a brand new house on my road in central HPP. They had wisely made a point of meeting some of the neighbors, and I took the opportunity ask them if they knew that the road was chronically undermaintained, that the homeowners' association was a train wreck, and that the highway to Hilo was always congested at rush hour and getting worse. They answered "yes" to all three questions and told me that they bought here anyway because they could get a lot more house for their money than in Hilo. I'm sure they will soon be on Punaweb complaining about what a mess things are out here because I told them this was good place to vent.
[quote]Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Selling everywhere,but no so hot in HPP? Why? Because buyers stay away from problematic associations!

I cannot walk out my door in the morning without hearing the sound of a D-9 caterpillar ripping an acre of lava either near or far, but somewhere in HPP. I can't drive from my home to Highway 130 on Maku'u, Paradise, or Kaloli without seeing a new lot cleared. Home builders are not avoiding HPP, and neither are home buyers. I think you've been misinformed.

Builders are taking advantage of cheap land, that does not mean that sale prices are keeping up with other areas in the island. I am talking about resales! HPP being in such good location is a bargain, until they realize they were told lies a out the roads being built.

jdo
jdo
http://hawaiianparadisepark.com/
Shows homes sales for HPP by the month, steadily increasing prices and decreasing time on the market over the last year. HPP is one of the best selling subdivisions in Puna because is is fairly convenient to Hilo and perceived as "safe" from lava flows. The next census will be interesting, HPP could have more people than Hilo, unless someone develops some affordable lots and homes in Hilo in a hurry.

JohnD. said "Selling everywhere,but no so hot in HPP? Why? Because buyers stay away from problematic associations! " This statement is clearly about now, not the future. Anyone who bought here when the roads were well maintained or thinking all the roads were going to get paved is feeling burned, anyone who is buying now has diminished expectations. As far as future resale values goes, all of Puna is a crapshoot, all it takes is one new vent to open up mauka and everything could change.
Agree, building continues. Although I would love a board that follows bylaws, and ours does not.....I still know that my investment in this subdivision remains o.k. Also realize that any outbreak from Madame Pele heading in our direction would be a game changer.
The roads? well I purchased knowing full well that my street was not paved and maintenance was sketchy. More and more homeowners are taking it upon themselves to care for the easements in front of their homes and I am grateful.
Kalakoa, you keep harping on HPP suing the county. I would also agree that the county did not do their job....but let's get real. Have you ever sued a city/county in this State? My Corp. did...it took 3...yes!!! 3 frickin' trials ... YEARS... a FIRST CLASS Attorney , money, and most importantly a WILL that would not be shattered. HPP IS NOT UNITED AND IT DOES NOT HAVE THE INTESTINAL FORTITUDE. Another thing to consider is our tax status. We are so lucky to be taxed as Ag. I was taught that zoning was not a right or a privilege. You want county roads?... my opinion is that they will cost us more than anyone is bargaining for.