Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
Kalakoa you seem to be very intelligent on the history of these issues im impressed so what do you believe is the best antidote? Im sure if it is reasonable most hpp lot owners would be open to it.
what do you believe is the best antidote?

1. Sue developers and County for their collusion in creating this untenable situation; laws were broken when final subdivision plats were approved before the required infrastructure was built. (There is little chance of success here, which is unfortunate.)

2. Replace subdivision boards with a professional services corporation whose only job is to collect money and spend it on necessary/approved projects. Said corporation to exclude any landowners in the subdivision it is contracted to serve, thereby limiting conflicts of interest.

Lately I've considered a related option:

3. Create a "road services corp" as an independent for-hire entity, which (as above) does not include any subdivision landowners.

Many of the recurring problems seem to revolve around "who will control the money/resources", which is (in my opinion) a completely irrelevant issue: money was collected for a stated purpose (roads), lawsuits about control of the money are out-of-scope. (Unless, of course, the lawsuits generate enough paperwork to fill some potholes.)

The joke in Hawaiian Acres is: if you want the road by your house fixed, volunteer for HARC, and you get three years to divert resources towards your house. Sure, HARC gets "free" volunteer officers ... but it would be a better deal for "everyone else" if those resources were directed on the basis of "actual need", with a disinterested third party using a formula to make that determination.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that these "renegade boards" obsfucate the accounting data ... an audit would be helpful in illustrating the above (eg, how much of your dues was actually spent on road maintenance).
Hmmm.... Lot owners are open to the BOD following the law and spending our $ to maintain the roads, not on Lawyers to defend them for not doing so!
I sure hope you attend meetings and voice your very pointed criticisms of the status quo to the people in control. Those of us who have tried over the years are weary of being ignored, then targeted as rabble rousers.
County law requires the developers to pave the roads prior to final subdivision plat approval, yet somehow all these unpaved roads got created despite the law.

But was that law in place in the 1950s when the subdivisions were built?

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
But was that law in place in the 1950s

Per other posts on this topic, the law was on the books in 1954, before the subdivisions.

Related: efforts to mandate a "usable" minimum lot size failed until the mid-1960s -- it's very difficult to make a living "farming" less than 5 acres (with a legal crop, anyway).
Per other posts on this topic, the law was on the books in 1954, before the subdivisions.

On State (Territory) or County books? I had always thought that the developers' permits were pushed through quickly and deliberately to get them in place before Statehood to avoid the Federal requirements. I hadn't heard of this one. If this is true, then I would think it would add the slam dunk to an already strong case.

Now all we have to do is get the 2 factions from Orchidland and the 2 factions from HPP to all work together on this. Ha ha ha ha ha! I crack myself up sometimes.
On State (Territory) or County books?

County.

the 2 factions from Orchidland and the 2 factions from HPP

Related question: do the other subdivisions not suffer "road maintenance drama", or do they just not talk about it?
Related question: do the other subdivisions not suffer "road maintenance drama", or do they just not talk about it?

You're right, add them into the mix. Now it's even more humorous.
Now it's even more humorous.

It's only funny to County -- they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Exactly. Sometimes funny and sad can mean the same thing.