Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial on hwy 11 by Shipman Ind. Park
Who's it for? I don't remember a car crash in that area.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The domestic abuse incident last week. That's where he was hiding from the police when they shot him.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Don't go around stabbing people.. and stealing cars.. you might not won't get shot.
Honoring the abuser/criminal. And I saw a community FB page with several comments "sorry for your loss."
It can also be looked at by all of us as a reminder that there are family & friends that may have a different memory than those of us who only know of this person by the events of the last day, and the last years of his life...

I had made a slightly snarky remark on the evening of his death, and was reminded the next morning, when we drove by, that there are some people that had loved this person, as they knew him... maybe from years ago, in school, sports or family settings..
I doubt the memorial will last very long. no need to remember that loser. out of the gene pool!
Lavalava, have you no memory of the memorial that was across from the Palace??? It might be a lot longer than you would imagine, all depends on how much effort friends & family are willing to put into it...
I'm with you, Carey. On a related topic, I have to ask this of older people: What is it with this phenomenon of going to the place where a person died and placing flowers and such there. When I was young(er) this just wasn't done. And when I started to see it done I thought that placing flowers where someone DIED was the worst place and the worst way to honor someone. Take the flowers to their house. Dead people only get flowers on their graves. The only place I can ever remember seeing this (before it became a thing) was in New Mexico, along Route 66. Families would leave a cross where someone was in a car crash and died.

Am I the only person who finds it jarring and distasteful? Am I remembering this right -- that it just wasn't done? Or did I just not notice?
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

Lavalava, have you no memory of the memorial that was across from the Palace??? It might be a lot longer than you would imagine, all depends on how much effort friends & family are willing to put into it...

Location, location, location
I sympathize with families and friend who wish to erect a memorial at the scene of a tragic death, even for those whose death resulted from criminal acts. We are all someone's son or daughter, sister or brother, mother or father, or friend despite the bad choices we may have made in life. Having said that, I think there should be a time limit on these displays, say 30 days or so before their removal is required. The waving balloons, signs etc. are a distraction to drivers, and if not maintained, the memorials become no more than dedicated piles of litter.