Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home sales up
There's a flight to LA out of Hilo every day. I think that's near Mexico.
PaulW. I hate to mention the obvious here, but you are rather naive about the illegal immigration issue in Hawaii. It is part of the reason why wages are low. They will willingly work for less money than legal workers cost someone (or a business).
Having lived on the mainland, I am well aware of illegal workers. It's not so easy for them to get to Hawaii and I have never seen nor heard of it happening here. So I doubt it is a big problem.

To assume someone is staying here illegally based purely on their nationality is.... not nice.
There's a flight to LA out of Hilo every day.

That's true.
$650 for a one way ticket. Times 10 or 12 people. That's $7000. Can they leave with just an airline ticket if they stayed beyond their visa date? Will they be allowed off the plane in LA if they left Hawaii with expired paperwork? Or do they need another $3000 for tickets to Mexico?

On the other hand, a ride down the road to another part of Puna in the back of their relative's pickup truck is about $10,000 cheaper.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Can they leave with just an airline ticket if they stayed beyond their visa date?"
Yes - they don't check. It's a domestic flight.
"Will they be allowed off the plane in LA if they left Hawaii with expired paperwork?"
Yes - they don't check. It's a domestic flight.

"$650 for a one way ticket."
There are also return tickets. I hear they're cheaper.
Yes - they don't check.

So, if no one is checking their visa, or if they overstay their visa, it wouldn't be too difficult for for a non-citizen to stay illegally, right?

To assume someone is staying here illegally based purely on their nationality is.... not nice.

No one is assuming anything. I gave one specific example that I knew about. There was no implication that all illegal immigrants in Hawaii are of a single nationality.

Back to home sales... it's not a boom yet like in 2006, but I believe that particular market uptick started in a similar fashion. A few years of steadily increasing sales, then prices took off like a rocket for about a year or so. I remember at one point, the lowest priced listing for a vacant lot in HPP was $100,000.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

There's a flight to LA out of Hilo every day.

That's true.
$650 for a one way ticket. Times 10 or 12 people. That's $7000. Can they leave with just an airline ticket if they stayed beyond their visa date? Will they be allowed off the plane in LA if they left Hawaii with expired paperwork? Or do they need another $3000 for tickets to Mexico?

On the other hand, a ride down the road to another part of Puna in the back of their relative's pickup truck is about $10,000 cheaper.

Based on your logic, where did they get the $7K to get over here in the first place? It doesn't make sense for poor, illegal immigrants to move to Hawaii.

But i'm an open minded person. Just point me to one or two establishments where some of these hundreds and thousands of illegals are working.
Based on your logic, where did they get the $7K to get over here in the first place?

That's not an unusual scenario. People save up, spend all their money to get to Hawaii, then can't afford a ticket back. It happens all the time. (Each ticket is about $700. With large, extended families they may also have several relatives offering to help pay for part of the ticket)

Just point me to one or two establishments where some of these hundreds and thousands of illegals are working.

I pointed to one establishment, with 10 or 12. I didn't say anything about thousands. I simply stated that it was possible, and had occurred. How many more instances are there? Beats me.

Lots of property getting dozed in HPP. Plenty of new construction too.

paulw - It is very easy to get here. Right now, one can get an LAX to ITO one-way ticket for as cheap as $250.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f...01-22;tt=o

That is just a few days worth of day labor, paid in cash...
"They scattered before my friend returned, and I doubt they ever left the island."
I sense you're now embarrassed about that statement so I'll let it go.

Yes, I remember 2006, what a crazy time. I bought some land around then and I've been waiting for a repeat boom ever since.
The rising prices in Honolulu and now Kona give hope! Also there are, if I remember correctly, something like 1 million people retiring every year on the mainland now and for the next 20 years and some of them want to give Hawaii a try. I really wonder if Puna will ever reach the normal Hawaii style prices. When I tell people you can still buy an acre of land in HPP for 20K they are amazed.