Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protectors required (don't apply via FB)
bananahead,

"'protectors' pfft thats a BIG JOKE!"

I hope you realize my original post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
I don't understand why he bought property in hawaii anyway. There are private islands for sale all over.. yet he choose the ghetto way, and bought a few acres. People with less money than him own an island
----------
This way, he got immediate infrastructure, roads,restaurants,stores, etc...
ya lol, who wants to live on an island all by yourself, He loves Hawaii and actually want to be a part of the community part time.. If I had his $$ Id do the EXACT SAME THING!
700 acres is never called a 'few acres' in anyones eyes... plus show me another island in the entire World as beautiful/exotic as Kauai with all it has to offer beach wise, hiking wise, and safety wise. its still part of the USA and has everything he needs.. ie towns, stores, airports, and possibly 'new friends'

when you hear all this from Zuckerberg, it makes way more sense... Im behind him 100% now!

"...On Thursday, Zuckerberg posted the following:

There have been some misleading stories going around today about our plans in Hawaii, so I want to clear this up.

I posted last month about how Priscilla and I bought some land in Hawaii. We want to create a home on the island, and help preserve the wildlife and natural beauty. You can read about it here.

The land is made up of a few properties. In each case, we worked with the majority owners of each property and reached a deal they thought was fair and wanted to make on their own.

As with most transactions, the majority owners have the right to sell their land if they want, but we need to make sure smaller partial owners get paid for their fair share too.
In Hawaii, this is where it gets more complicated. As part of Hawaiian history, in the mid-1800s, small parcels were granted to families, which after generations might now be split among hundreds of descendants. There aren’t always clear records, and in many cases descendants who own 1/4% or 1% of a property don’t even know they are entitled to anything.

To find all these partial owners so we can pay them their fair share, we filed what is called a “quiet title” action. For most of these folks, they will now receive money for something they never even knew they had. No one will be forced off the land.

We are working with a professor of native Hawaiian studies and long time member of this community, who is participating in this quiet title process with us. It is important to us that we respect Hawaiian history and traditions.

We love Hawaii and we want to be good members of the community and preserve the environment. We look forward to working closely with the community for years to come...."

http://khon2.com/2017/01/19/facebook-fou...-on-kauai/

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
The problem I have with it is he is restricting beach access and the reason he wants all the land according to the first article is "Close to a dozen small parcels within Zuckerberg’s Kauai estate are owned by kamaaina families who have rights to traverse the billionaire’s otherwise private domain." In addition to only 20 days to respond or deal with whatever the court decides. That doesn't seem like a fair practice.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/...a2191.html

There will be winners and losers in Zuckerberg's quiet title action.

Winners:
* Zuckerberg
* County of Kauai (simpler deed and title for their records)
* Owners of the Kuleana property who didn't know they had a share and will now receive a payment for that portion
* Owners who knew they had a share, never paid taxes, and now will receive a payment for their allocation

Losers:
* Majority owners who wish to keep the property
* Owners who invested time or money in improvements on the property
* Owners who paid taxes over the years for other partial owners to maintain ownership for all

"Only fear real things, such as minds full of delusions." -Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
@HOTPE - He already bought the land from the majority owners. They won't be losing anything, nor will any owner who invested money in improvements as most of this is very small parcels and the people he is trying to get off the title probably don't even know they are on it, let alone did they invest money in building anything on it. I am pretty sure that over the years, the majority owner paid the taxes (and then sold the land to him).
He already bought the land from the majority owners...

Perhaps I misunderstood certain details in some of the articles I read. I was under the impression that there were owners and families against the sale as it would block their access to the ancestral property and other rights they had in conjunction with it.
All currently known owners are in favor of the sale?
The only purpose it to locate every living owner?

Then what is the problem? Why is it even news?

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
block their access to the ancestral property

Good thing they're "protecting" us from Zuckerberg's money.
I was under the impression that there were owners and families against the sale as it would block their access to the ancestral property and other rights they had in conjunction with it.
----
Then their issues should be with the majority owners who sold the land to begin with? i bet many of these people, some of whom have .01% interest didn't even know they had that until they got served a letter...
Then their issues should be with the majority owners who sold the land to begin with?

So, we don't know whether all currently known owners are in favor of a sale? Or whether majority owners agree with minority owners of the same property? Because if all owners wish to sell, there would be no story, right? Or is the whole thing a ginned up controversy because a Kauai reporter couldn't find anything else to write about this week? I'm trying to understand the circumstances of this situation. Maybe no one knows the owners exact positions at the moment, until the papers are signed?