Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humbug with email?
I've tried contacting other users via the email option from their account user profile page but keep getting notices that there's a problem, and seemingly no email is sent. Is this a known problem? Is there a plan to fix it? Mahalo
Known problem, no easy fix. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Punaweb forum is an old platform and I can't yet afford to replace it. Replacing the base platform risks losing 14 years or archived posts.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
500 (Internal Server) Error
...that we're working furiously to correct. Things will be up and running again soon. Thanks for your patience.
When I try, I usually get an email notice that sending has failed, and it includes the e-ddress of the person I'm trying to reach, so I can just send them a regular email.
I think our email platform, which is antique, is compatible with some email servers still but incompatible with others.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
"Replacing the base platform risks losing 14 years or archived posts"

Most forum software has import scripts for importing not only the old posts but also the user database as well from a variety of old forums. Usually the import script is ran and everything ported to the new software, both forums running simultaneously until the new one is tested and debugged. When the admin is happy the DNS is switched over so yourdomain.com points to the IP address of the new server. I used to admin a server that ran on a freeware forum and decided to upgrade to vbulletin. The import instructions seemed daunting so I paid somebody to do it for me (was only about $50). After I became comfortable with the new software I later re-read the import instructions and realized how easy it actually was to do. Snitz is pretty old though, might not be as easy.

Once all that is done, no guarantee the sendmail server will be configured correctly, but that is a separate issue.

One thing you will find is that all new forum softwares with all their illustrious features all equals a lot more code written to make all those fancy options run. More code=more bugs= more avenues for exploitation. After I upgraded the software I was frequently having to apply patches to fix various security problems. Running a newer forum software isn't a set-it-and-forget-it type of deal.
Lee,

"When I try, I usually get an email notice that sending has failed, and it includes the e-ddress of the person I'm trying to reach, so I can just send them a regular email."

It used to work that way, but hasn't for the last couple of years or so. Now you get a server error every time. Try emailing yourself via PW. It won't even get as far as attempting to send an email.

I'm happy with the forum as it is and there are always ways to get an email from someone you want to contact on PW, like providing your own email address or a non-spam version of it in a post, or asking if there's a way to contact that person via email. If they want your email, they'll let you know how.
I recently gave up on a forum I used to visit every day. After the umpteenth upgrade many of the regulars frustrated with all the inevitable teething problems just quit. I like Punaweb just the way it is.
You can post a disposable email address. anythingyouwant@mailinator.com It's not fancy, because anybody can read the email, but you don't have to sign up for anything, confirm anything, or even set it up ahead of time.

It couldn't be any easier, for example, send an email to punaweb@mailinator.com. Then go to mailinator.com and type in punaweb. The email will be there. No p/w, setup, or anything else required. (punaweb can be ANYTHING). An email address you can use once, or over an over again. Just don't send anything personal, private, or financially important.
I like the format and the way Rob runs it just fine. Other sites I visit seem sterile and it's posters somewhat boring with their discussion content. To add I prefer the e mail function to be "busted", as I prefer not to be bashed, or stalked in private as in the past here. If you have something to say here, post it here, that's what makes it so interesting!

Community begins with Aloha