Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
diy used oil disposal location
Well, look for waste oil be dumped wherever then. Tires too. When I worked at a truck repair shop near Seattle for 24 years, in the early days we could sell waste oil for like $1.00 a gallon. Since, say a Kenworth with a Caterpillar engine might hold 14 gallons in the engine, there was money in waste oil. Later, they hauled it out for nothing. Finally, we installed waste oil furnaces to heat the shops. If our leaders want to maintain a beautiful Hawaii, they should get involved with this. People are so lazy here, they load up a bunch of mattresses into a truck, and instead of taking to the dump, they leave it at the edge of the road.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Yes, they need multiple collection spots for used chemicals of all types...

24/7. I mean, the close the dump like 2 days out of a year? People just pile up waste in front of the gate. My neighbors all drive big pickup's and burn their trash. For some reason they don't want to dirty up the back of the truck, I can just imagine what they are doing with their own oil. For 2 bucks, I buy the oil / Box collection thing, it's a box, with a oil sponge (some sort of chemical to hold the oil, then it has it's own plastic bag, that they say on the side of the box, it can go directly in the trash??? Did that a few times...But, found it kinda weird throwing that and a contaminated filter in the landfill.

So, I suspect if it's not being dumped in some lava tube, which, I am going out on a limb to say that 30% is dumped on the ground, 10% get's dumped out on the roads as oil drips from leaky seals, gasket pans, valve covers, burned up in exhaust, etc...etc... Probably 40% get's tossed in the dumpsters that makes it to the landfills, and the other 20% might get recycled properly. I just don't see the majority of people going out of their way to find the right day of acceptance or some gas station willing to take it.

What we really need is a Fast Lube where you pull in and out within 10-20 minutes and your oil is changed out quickly. I change my own oil, because I can do it much faster and cheaper, but if they had a jiffy lube that would do it in a reasonable amount of time...it would be the way to go.

Wish there were better solutions.
The only oil I need to dispose of is from my lawn mower and two scooters. IT takes a long time to generate enough to then need to go dump it. I went to the Toyota dealer in Hilo, and have only needed to take it once in 5.5 years.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Toyota is the only place I know of that will accept used oil but Mac_nut is saying they no longer accept it?
From the link Obie posted above:
EAST HAWAI‘I used waste disposal

Pa‘auilo Village Service
43-1494 Hauola Road
776-1542 Please call first.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Lex Brodie’s Tire & Service Center – Temporarily not accepting oil
170 Wiwoole St., Hilo
Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
464-6252 Please call first.
With all the old diesels on this island - and in light of the cost of fuel - it surprises me that this is a problem. http://allblackdiesel.com/how-to/
All the state has to do is issue a request for proposal for someone to process used oil into diesel, and then grant the highest bidder a monopoly. The raw material is free and people will even bring it to you.

But that presumes that you have a functioning state government.

It it wasn't for the Aloha here, this place would be in flames.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
But that presumes that you have a functioning state government.

Well, we don't, so nothing ever really gets fixed.
Speaking of oil.. what do restaurants do with their waste cooking Oil?..
They sell it.. The biodiesel plant in the Shipman industrial park buys it.