Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
diy used oil disposal location
request for proposal ... grant the highest bidder a monopoly. ... raw material is free and people will even bring it

Forgetting the most important part: nowhere to build the facility that isn't "next to someone's house".
It's too bad that HELCO doesn't take used motor oil to blend in with their beloved bunker oil to fire the generators for power.

Community begins with Aloha
They will be collecting it next month at the Pahoa transfer station:

Household Hazardous Waste Collections

Pahoa Recycling & Transfer Station: Sunday, March 5th, 2017, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

When I'm done changing my oil I pour it from the waste oil pan back into the new containers I just emptied into the crankcase and then seal them tight and toss them into the back of my truck. I usually go to the transfer station on Sundays anyway and eventually my dump run coincides with the hazardous waste collection day, they have them several times a year.
"request for proposal ... grant the highest bidder a monopoly. ... raw material is free and people will even bring it

Forgetting the most important part: nowhere to build the facility that isn't "next to someone's house".
My hubby built a waste oil recycling facility on Oahu.....It's still operational and run by the corp. that bought him out. It took Several years with an environmental attorney, a monumental lobbying effort and money.....he was just an environmentalist . Almost 25 years recycling Hawaii's oil......and NO!!! very far from a get rich endeavor!!!.......and I will always be proud of him for putting his time, energy and money into what he stood for.
Isn't anyone there working on converting used cooking oil to bio-diesel? From what I understand, any diesel mechanic can retrofit the engine. Preparing the oil to be used as fuel is a bit more complicated but I've seen it done.

Natasha Ufema
Natasha Ufema
Saw a great documentary a couple months back about a guy on Hawaii who created this biodiesel operation:

http://www.biodiesel.com

ETA: Sorry for being a little off topic. This plant processes used cooking oil.
Big Island Biodiesel has been doing this since 2012. they are located in the Shipman industrial park.
Mahalo Leilanidude. Makes me consider retro-fitting a VW turbo diesel or a 1982 Mercedes clunker if they can be found.
Chas: Completely on-topic. Waste is waste and we need to reuse it.[Smile]

Natasha Ufema
Natasha Ufema
No retrofit needed. You can burn bio-diesel in anything that you can burn regular diesel in. The point of making bio-diesel is to make it diesel.