Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
"This begs the question, how many people do we imagine show up to HPP membership meetings disguised as another person? Or in drag?"

hysterical!!!!!!!!
HPP people, please take this drive this week before the membership mtg.

Take Shower and turn right onto 23rd...this is a CS road that is less than a yr old. Take a good look at it. It's failing big time. Yet the board and GM are continuing to lay more of this stuff down in a hurry on our roads at the cost of $80,000 + per road, and taking $ away from the road maint budget. The use of our road crew and the outsourcing of maint on the main drags should be factored into the costs on top of the $80,000 if you want to get a true figure of cost per road.

Continue on by crossing Kaloli and continue on 23rd, look at the asphalted road. When you get to Paradise, you'll see a tagged Stop sign w/what appears to be bullet holes and could very well be a safety hazard if you can't see it fully in the dark. (Sign replacement is part of Road Maint). Check out paved roads that are feeder roads...paved 1st, Beach Rd and L Rd (Paradise Ala Kai). Some areas on L Rd only have half a lane, so one side needs to stop when there's 2 way traffic. Add pedestrians and cyclists to the mix during heavy traffic hrs. The easements that are maintained are being done by the lot owners. Try driving on a few dirt roads next. Obviously the GM or board members haven't driven on these roads and if they have....

There was a terrible 3 car accident on Kaloli several months to a year ago before the sun came up. It appeared that someone ran the stop sign at the cross road bc the sign was obscured by bushes coupled w/barely visible stop bar. The 3 cars were pretty banged up, the passengers taken to the hospital. In the following days there were investigators taking photos of the area. What became of the investigation? The board certainly wouldn't tell us if something had.

Cars travel well above the 35 mph limit on the main drags. There is a reason for stop signs and they need to be maintained proactively. We have witnesses who have seen stop signs that haven't been reinstalled in a timely manner when they've gone down, even after it had been called in. Talking about over a wk later still not reinstalled.

Reflectors and road striping are road maint. Take a good look at Makuu below 16th,(above it is the county striping and reflectors) and Paradise. Big sections have no reflectors and barely visible striping as a back up.

The board's agenda w/CS is taking a heavy toll on road maint in all aspects. If the condition of your road doesn't bother you, then you shouldn't discount the safety issues going on. We have almost 12,000 people who live in HPP, many are on the roads. Add to that, all the non HPP residents.
We have almost 12,000 people who live in HPP

HPP should approach State about permission to organize into a township, failing which, lawsuit against State for civil rights violations.

Then, develop the 20-acre parcels and have a real economy, at which point the hardest part about the "roads problem" will be coming up with a township seal to mark all the work vehicles.
HPP should approach State about permission to organize into a township, failing which, lawsuit against State for civil rights violations.

Then, develop the 20-acre parcels and have a real economy, at which point the hardest part about the "roads problem" will be coming up with a township seal to mark all the work vehicles.

The township suggestion was discussed several yrs ago at a membership mtg. In fact I believe it was the new Dist 5 rep who had brought it up. Nothing happened.

The Watamulls (developers) specified that our 20 acre parcels could only be used for schools and parks. Only their parcels can be used for profit making ventures. And they only pay 1 road fee per their 20 acre parcels.

Could you explain your meaning of, "lawsuit against State for civil rights violations"?
The Watamulls (developers) specified that our 20 acre parcels could only be used for schools and parks.

Township seizes those parcels by eminent domain.

"lawsuit against State for civil rights violations"?

Honolulu is the only incorporated City in the State; County clearly fails to represent the needs and wants of its constituents. Are we not entitled to self-governance?

For that matter, I would go further (off-topic), and break the Big Island into at least 4-5 separate counties. How many times I got to say it: "one size fits all ... doesn't."
Thanks kalakoa....very interesting.

I took that drive and then some. We got s----y roads all over this place! The dust was incredible. No rock material , 5 feet tall grass on the shoulders everywhere. Unbelievable! All these people managing HPP should be fired! They have the nerve to raise our road fees?!! It's obvious they don't know what they're doing! They're mismanaging our money! When does this s--t end?!!! Now they're getting sidetracked with mailboxes on top of that chip seal s--t?!! They need to get back to work or get fired! All of them.

I took a while, but I did my bit and made some contacts regarding legally forcing the HPPOA into receivership. An attorney friend to whom I spoke said that a competent lawyer's fees for such a suit would start at $12,000, and that would be a conservative estimate. While it's not as much as some quoted earlier on this thread and only about $1.50 per lot, it is still a formidable sum to raise. One person that I know of has a semi-retired attorney (part time Hawaii resident) working pro bono on this, and I will be eager to see where that goes. This guy would have to get reciprocal admission to the Hawaii bar to actually do anything, and I don't know how that would pan out, but he is laying out the logistics and legal rationale. Stay tuned.
Mahalo Chunkster [Smile]

lawyer's fees for such a suit would start at $12,000

Even if this figure is off by a factor of 10, it's still a bargain, because it's basically a one-time cost.