Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ah, the unintended consequences
"So which came first? The chicken or the egg? The developer or the council? The county or the homeowner?"

Answer:

First: The developer
Second: The Board of Supervisors (pre statehood)
Third: The homeowners

Just for general interest... The county standards for roads, established in the code in 1954, would have required two additional main arteries into HPP as well as pavement.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

[i

This is why I suggest more mandatory real estate disclosure, up to and including buyer's signature acknowledging receipt and understanding of said disclosure.

You mean like Chapter 508D of the Hawaii State Code ?

http://www.oahure.com/help/Disclosure.pdf

It would be on line 20.Each page requires the buyers initials with the signature at the end of the 5 pages.Looks pretty comprehensive to me.
First: The developer; Second: The Board of Supervisors

With some overlap where someone's nephew is installed into the land hui (per Land and Power).

additional main arteries into HPP as well as pavement

This requirement would apply to many other subdivisions as well, it's not "just" an HPP problem.

Amazing that out of 80K lots, there doesn't seem to be enough funding for a lawsuit or sufficient political will to force settlement with County.
If the subdivisions were by some weird accident to unite the county would basically be at their mercy.

But they prefer to bicker and argue and the county encourages that.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
You mean like Chapter 508D of the Hawaii State Code ?

From the Disclosure:

a seller of residential real property is obligated to fully and accurately disclose...

508D would therefore not apply to a seller of "agricultural" land, unless the existence of a (permitted) dwelling constitutes "residential real property" despite the underlying non-residential zoning.

Item 26 is amusing in its own way:

Are there any additional material facts regarding the neighborhood that would be expected to measurably affect the value of the Property (e.g., pesticides, soil problems, irrigation, odors, pending development in the area, road widening projects, zoning changes; rail, etc.)?

Because all development is a "one-off" via SUP (eg, instead of "real zoning" that can be planned around), and nobody will commit to future roads (no designated route for PMAR, no funding for "connectivity"), any "material facts" are BS as soon as the ink is dry on the paperwork...

33(d) Are you aware of future maintenance fee increases, special assessments, association loans or pending litigation for or against your Association(s)?

Hilarious.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

All hail our mighty Shipman overlords.

A great success story. My hat's off to them.

(Deep inhale...)
"I love the smell of napalm arsenic in the morning.
Smells like victory!"

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

(Deep inhale...)
"I love the smell of napalm arsenic in the morning.
Smells like victory!"

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

Yes, it does!!!! Shipman is a great success story that has benefited many. I salute them.
quote:
Originally posted by Lopaka

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Another missionary who got cozy with the Hawaiian royalty and acquired huge tracts of land? Sounds like being in the right place at the right time. More serendipitous, than 'successful'.
According to history, the land was part of the King Lunalilo estate. The King's will called for all of his land to be sold to establish a home for aged Hawaiians on Oahu. The King's estate trustees wanted to lease the land instead. Had to go to the monarchy Supreme Court to make the change. The monarchy Supreme Court had no authority to change the will, so throughout the Hawaiian Nation all of the King's land was sold. Shipman and two others bought the Ahapuaa of Keaau at auction as his land was sold elsewhere. Shipman later bought out the other two. (The Lunalilo home was built and exists to this day).

No special favors of any type involved.