Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ah, the unintended consequences
As a note (from the Shipman's of East Hawaii - an interesting read) the missionary Shipman - W. H. Shipman's father - died when W. H. Was about 7. The missionary mother then became a teacher in Hilo later marrying William Reed - Reed's Bay, etc. (They are everywhere).
quote:
Originally posted by wax

According to history, the land was part of the King Lunalilo estate. The King's will called for all of his land to be sold to establish a home for aged Hawaiians on Oahu. The King's estate trustees wanted to lease the land instead. Had to go to the monarchy Supreme Court to make the change. The monarchy Supreme Court had no authority to change the will, so throughout the Hawaiian Nation all of the King's land was sold. Shipman and two others bought the Ahapuaa of Keaau at auction as his land was sold elsewhere. Shipman later bought out the other two. (The Lunalilo home was built and exists to this day).

No special favors of any type involved.

Precisely.
Fine, we won't argue over the pull that a missionary family would have had with a newly converted populace. I still see the Shipman story more as a right place right time story, similar to the Robinsons of Niihau, or the Doles in Lanai.
see the Shipman story more as a right place right time

To me it reads more like "I got mine, screw you" -- some say Shipman "contributes much to the community", but it also seems like they "hold the community hostage".

some say Shipman "contributes much to the community", but it also seems like they "hold the community hostage".

Shipman doesn't have to make an either/or choice. They can do both.
Then we, the spectators, are allowed to choose what we see, so it best matches the rest of our island viewpoint.

Tastes great! Less filling!
Coke! Pepsi!
We only get to pick what's presented to us. When an issue is important we shouldn't be told to choose between two options. Instead, it would be nice for a change, if we were asked what we'd like.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
We only get to pick what's presented to us.

Assuming someone else doesn't get to pick first, such as when it would be "near their house", so now nobody gets any.
They kind of do hold the area hostage. They don't support the puna makai route to Hilo.. but they are all for a route that goes through Shipmanville ( keaau).

Gimme a break.
Then again they did provide the Keaau by pass at no cost to the State. Ask people in Kamuela if they would like a by pass and how long they have wished for it. Wouldn't it be fun to drive through Keaau village every time you went to or from Volcano HIghway.
Yes, I can imagine that without the bypass that was so generously 'donated', that downtown Keaau would be paralyzed trying to handle todays volume of traffic. Seems kinda self serving to me, but to each his own.
The Keaau By-pass was initially intended to hit the highway much closer to Hilo.

Somehow it ended up aimed directly at the land Shipman intends for a future major shopping center. I've seen it in their master plan.

This was explained to me by an elder Hilo politician now passed away.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator