Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Humor Section (Thanks in part to TMT threads)

New feature: Monthly Humor Section

Several weeks ago, with barely 15 posts achieved, this Newbie had the impertinence to broadly criticize some long-time Punatalk commentators. I questioned people ganging up on certain unpopular posters, and the widespread use of insults. The worst offenders are found in the two TMT threads.*

Some of the language is posted below, anonymously, of course. Excluded are the most pointed insults. I have instead listed quips that mostly allude to perceived stupidity.

If the posters had spent less time telling others how ignorant they are and more time polishing their own writing, they probably would be better off.

But then again, Punatalk wouldn’t be so entertaining!

OK...This stuff is taught in early grade school.

I'm sure there's a word for such a poor debating technique.

What on earth are you on about?

You are extremely delusional again.

First, reading comprehension is a good thing.

This wonderful sentiment is also completely irrelevant.

Feel free to make more untrue insinuations.

I rarely respond positively to such an argument from ignorance.

Stand by for an epic meltdown

Don't get out much in the world, do you?

Your convoluted response raises more question than it answers.

(how dare they) post outrageous and unverifiable opinions about.... (as a fist slams down on the table)
(This is not how the writer made his statement. Sorry, I couldn’t help changing the context w/ the parenthetical words for effect. The result is particularly humorous, IMO.)

You seem to laboring under the misconception that....

That's sheer ignorance.

Would you prefer to discuss semantics or the topic at hand?

Tortured soul, posting his deluded nonsense...

Wow. Just wow. I'm speechless.

No...nothing to see here, move along... (funny but harsh)

His latest racist rant. Now it's gone. <Sigh>

You don't get out much in the world do you?

Stay tuned for next month’s Humor Section! We can expect that some of our elder Punatalk commentators will continue to garnish their views with gratuitous insults.

(* A fair amount of the criticism of TMT was drivel. Anti-TMT views should at least be up to the standard set by ohiagrrl, IMO, the best commentator of the lot. Hope to hear from ohiagrrl again.)

Too late to start a batch of popcorn, I'll check in tomorrow.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Traditionally, humor sections include some humor in them. However, there is a fundamental problem with this one.
CliffsNotes Book Of Punchlines

Now, from CliffNotes, the leader in abridged study guides comes a compilation of the best punchlines from your favorite jokes. Don't waste time, get right to the good stuff, because context as we've discovered in this fast paced world we live in is vastly overrated. Hilarious!

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Is somebody writing rap music?

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
If the purpose of these snippets -- in dire need of bullets btw -- was to say how awful people here are to each other, please know that these are extremely tame compared to posts a few years back that bordered on libel. Especially given how contentious the subject is. Some, in fact, were sorta clever.

Fixed typo
But did they make you laugh?
Nope. I think there was facetiousness afoot.
Aha! Another one spots the flaw.
If the purpose of these snippets... was to say how awful people here are to each other,

It's an interesting approach.
The comments listed in the Humor Section don't include what preceded them, which in many cases are posts far more insulting than the reply. If a point is to be made that some people on Punaweb insult other people on Punaweb, wouldn't it be better to to start with the original insult? Nip it in the bud? If the original insults weren't made in the first place, there may not be anything left in the list above.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves