Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Humor Section (Thanks in part to TMT threads)
I started the thread as news stories concerning the MK observatories were being reported in all sorts of different threads, so thought it might be a good idea to have one thread where the various discoveries could be posted.
-----------
And that is one of the 1st threads I look for when I visit the forum.
Thanks TomK!
quote to me from Eric 1600: MarkD, what is your motivation for taking quotes out of context?

I thought the bad language, this quarrel, was inappropriate in a thread that appeared to be dedicated to people interested in detailed discussions about astronomy.

The context of the bad language or reason for it was irrelevant, IMO.

Again, my apologies for my comments. It is clearly none of my business.

leilanidude, I apologize if I was rude. No slight intended.

My "no ....ing problem" comment was not directed at you; I was alluding to the language that followed (and that I was complaining about).

Aloha
Thank you, leo and leilanidude. The other advantage of having all the MK discoveries (and those from other observatories based in Hawaii) in one thread is that anyone who isn't interested knows what thread to avoid.
MarkD,

"I thought the bad language, this quarrel, was inappropriate in a thread that appeared to be dedicated to people interested in detailed discussions about astronomy.

The context of the bad language or reason for it was irrelevant, IMO.
"

I'm fairly certain Eric was referring to your original post that started this thread, where you posted several comments without context (or humor). Very few came from the discovery thread.
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Dwayne.
Dwayne who?
Dwane the Tub. I'm dwowning.
I started the thread as news stories concerning the MK observatories were being reported in all sorts of different threads, so thought it might be a good idea to have one thread where the various discoveries could be posted. It certainly wasn't "put together" by a bunch of academics.

The other advantage of having all the MK discoveries (and those from other observatories based in Hawaii) in one thread is that anyone who isn't interested knows what thread to avoid.

Exactly Tom. Mahalo for sharing and taking time to post the "discoveries" of the cosmos. Mahalo to the others who also contribute. It's like having an astronomy class right here on PT.
Tomk to me: I'm fairly certain Eric was referring to your original post that started this thread, where you posted several comments without context (or humor). Very few came from the discovery thread.

Not one came from “Discoveries.” I had barely looked at “Discoveries” then; my brief glance at it suggested that it would be above the ridiculing so common at other sites.

There were/are two separate things going on:

1A. I first wrote the Humor section, based on the 2 TMT threads and others. I find most of these comments funny, but my writing of Humor had a message, well stated by Chas' comment: No, he's pointing out that you can disagree..without starting out with...(very thinly) veiled insults.

I am a Newbie only a month, wrote things, which, while controversial, were hardly offensive, IMO. The insults in the responses to me surprised me. But OK. I now understand that is how many of you folks communicate.

1B. Not clear on the big issue of context. Some of these insults were gratuitous, some were part of a back and forth in good jest. Either type, I see, is common at Punatalk.

Re the one quip, the “...outrageous opinions...” statement, I understand the context issue. To be charitable to the author, I made it clear that I had embellished. Whatever the case, if this quip or any other was not funny to you--well, I was annoyed at the insults to me.

I am sure we will both get over our respective concerns.

And given the prevalence of insults and people deliberately taking statements out of context on Punatalk, it is odd that any Punatic would offer an objection. [Perhaps a case of a chicken coming home to roost?]

Seems that most of the people commenting agreed the quips were funny and that far worse was omitted.

2. Far worse--not perhaps as an individual concern (insult), but general inappropriateness--seems to be the following:

YOUR OWN IGNORANT BULL****. I'm getting really fed up...people on this board NOT EVEN ****ING READING.... What the ****? (Party 2): to hijack a thread, as the asshole has clearly done.”

After writing Humor, I went on “Discoveries” and found the above. The first part was written by glassnumbers.

I then opined on “Discoveries” the same sentiment as glassnumbers: hijackers get off the thread. But more politely. And I wrote a message to Rob.

The sentiment was not to ban someone; it was to use the threat to ensure compliance. Most Punatalk writers seem highly interested in being here. I gather compliance would be no problem to achieve. (The issue for me was both the cursing and the hijacking. The second led to the first.)

But my message to Rob (an unsolicited input on "Discoveries") was clearly inappropriate. I am sorry. It is up to Rob and you folks, the initiators of “Discoveries,” to decide the tone in this thread.

And now my “academics” statement is of issue. (Does this ever end?)

Was there basis to think I used the term pejoratively? (Such pejorative use comes primarily on Fox News.) That is academics as in scholars, researchers, scientists, (professors?) etc. at astronomical facilities.

I praised "Discoveries" several times as a collaboration of astronomical insights and observations for the benefit of other astronomers and science buffs in the community. Do I have it wrong? What is the offensive mischaracterization in "academics?"
Sometimes, one should learn when to just be quiet.
This is one of those times.
Stop trying to justify your posts.
Originally posted by leilanidude
Sometimes, one should learn when to just be quiet.
This is one of those times.
Stop trying to justify your posts.

Geez - did Rob hand over the hall-monitor badge? Never knew there were standards or justifications applied to posts. This is PunaWeb, right?

But in the general spirit of netiquette, and trying and keep on-topic for this thread:

Two newbies type PunaWeb in their search bar. The first says "I'm getting really fed up with people on this board NOT EVEN ****ING READING. Why do you even bother to post if you're not going to even read the responses that people give? What the ****?"

The second replies, on the TMT poll topic, "I do not understand disruption of threads. Why not ban these people?"

The bartender sighs, "Two more malahini meltdowns, in the house."

(shout-out to pahoated whose posts defied all standards or justifications Wink
MarkD - given that extremely long-winded reply, I'm assuming this is no longer a humor section.

"Seems that most of the people commenting agreed the quips were funny and that far worse was omitted."

I think you've misunderstood most people's comments.