Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of the Superferry?
I remember 14 hours from somewhere. That said,

four hours from the Kona side of the Big Island to Honolulu

Plus the two-hour drive to Kona = 6 hours, which makes a day trip impossible, so even if the ferry is half the cost of airfare, at least one night in a hotel is required.

Per Hawaii County DMV (http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/finance-vrl-general-info) you're also required to register your vehicle in the county where it is being driven, so bringing your vehicle on the ferry to "save" the cost of a rental means going to the DMV at each end of the trip, standing in line, paperwork, fees....

Like HART, I'm sure the ferry would make an excellent tax mining operation; transportation, not so much.
Sorry K, but I'm calling utter nonsense on your post... You can ship a vehicle via Young Bros. (for several hundred dollars) interisland without registering it on the island you're sending it to until it comes up for re-registration (and in Hawaii style,they aren't too diligent about checking whether you register it on the second island even then).

The Superferry would have facilitated transport of families for spending time on other islands for much less than the cost of renting a car (checked on Honolulu lately? - heard a quote of $150/day being given to a tourist the other day...). It was also intended to afford opportunities for transport of farm goods and other perishables (which YB doesn't do all that well). IMHO, the failure of the superferry had more to do with the fact that it was competing with the existing shippers, and maybe impacting union jobs, than any real impact on the environment...
I'm calling utter nonsense on your post...

Hey, I'm just the messenger -- County's official website says "must register per-island", just like all those other rules and regulations that are selectively enforced.

heard a quote of $150/day being given to a tourist

Correct: tourists pay extra.

competing with the existing shippers

Probably closer to the truth: competition isn't allowed here.
Winter weather travel caused sea sickness and service cancellations.

Yes, and plane flights are regularly delayed or canceled, some passengers experience air turbulence, and there's still an air sickness bag in the seat pocket in front of you. Here on the ground, during heavy storms we're warned to stay off the roads during flash flood warnings.

you're also required to register your vehicle in the county where it is being driven,

Tell that to the guy I see driving in front of me over the past year, still riding his Wyoming plates.

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
still riding his Wyoming plates

No, out of state plates are valid for up to 12 months (with valid safety and permit), but out of county vehicles must be re-registered immediately.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

(Nor would I drive around with out-of-state plates any longer than necessary -- too obvious.)
competing with the existing shippers
Probably closer to the truth: competition isn't allowed here.

Yes, one of the reasons for looking into an inter-island ferry is to provide shippers of perishable products with an alternative method of transport. As noted, Young Bros isn't as reliable as fruit, vegetable, flower, foliage growers would like, and air transport is expensive. A ferry would provide a service complementing and competing with the other two.

That is, the monopoly Seattle-based Saltchuk Resources allows it. Saltchuk owns Young Brothers/Hawaiian Tug & Barge, Aloha Air Cargo, Hawaii Fuel Network, Maui Petroleum and Minit Stop Stores..

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
For the cost that they want for the rail, I could only imagine how the state would muck it up for a floating bridge to Maui. Probably cost 500 billion for a 2 lane road with another 2 lanes part time, after they promised a 6 lane highway.

After they found fire ants in the first car going over, the state would spend another billion hiring people to inspect each car that would add a few hours for invasive species check. But, you know, that this would happen with the superferry as well.
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

How about our beaches? Camp sites (as if we have any)? and yes it'll be a great means of transport for all sorts of little critters between the islands.

I think the people on Kauai were right on not allowing them to dock. I think the Big Island was very lucky we never had them make landfall here. I think we should do whatever we can to keep this from happening in the future.

maybe we should shut down the airport too... Oh, that's right, we might need to get to another island to get medical care... or find a real job...
glinda: TMT doesn't cause transport between the islands the
way the ferry would, at all!
HART? How much did it take to shut up OHA and DHHL?
How many graves were disturbed? Together with other things?
One guy was caught with a truckload of rock for his rock wall business back on Oahu

It wasn't wall builders, it was members of the Mormon Church who were told by their bishop to go to Maui for river rock. The rocks were to be used in their imu for fundraising events.