Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequency of electricity outages
Our power rarely goes out in Orchidland. If there is a glitch of any kind I would hear my UPS click. It does that every time my laser printer turns on (it's not hooked up to the UPS but it senses a sudden draw in the circuit).

Maybe it's because there is not a lot of grid-tie solar in our neck of the woods.

When our power does go out, it is usually out for a long time.
We live in Orchidland and have mini-outages (lasting a few seconds to a minute or two) at least once a month. Haven't had a long term outage since we bought a generator after Iselle. You're welcome...
Kalakoa - the clocks we use are powered by single AA batteries which are re chargeable .Maybe once a year we replace the single AA battery with another fully charged AA battery.
Very simple and basic.
Mrs.Mimosa
"Don't you have to regularly reset clocks anyway because of the drift?"

Is this part of the "island time" phenomenon?

(do...do...do..do.do.) <-- few will "get that"
Is this part of the "island time" phenomenon?

Interesting observation, and entirely possible, there's probably enough people off-grid with cheap digital clocks.

Wondering why there isn't an off-grid inverter that tracks the frequency drift against a GPS receiver. That would be kind of neat.

few will "get that"

Not around here, anyway.

Now Hellco wants more money for your power outages.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/36195...e-approved

I've never had a power outage or a Helco bill either. Ran my dishwasher today with the clouds and rain still producing enough power with my PV's. No pollution, no noise, no moving parts, no ugly grid, no war required.
Not entirely fair to say those things are not required. The panels were probably produced in China which has an abysmal environmental track record, and our overall standard of living is maintained by nuclear powered subs and aircraft carriers, kerosene fueled jets and cruise missiles, and whatever powers rockets. You don't see little hamlets in China covered in solar panels even though they could save considerably on the shipping costs.

All that being said, I only know there's a power outage myself because the neighbor's generator is running.
Made in California, SolarWorld
"You don't see little hamlets in China covered in solar panels "

Pretty sure the dense cancer smog blocks too much sunlight.
As I mentioned near the start of the thread, I have a plot (two, actually) that show the stunning increase in power outages and glitches that affected UKIRT operations. The first plot combined outages we experienced at both Hilo and the summit, but since we switched to remote operations at the end of 2010, I didn't have the data for Hilo prior to 2011, so also produced one for summit outages only which is more representative. Note that the number for 2013 was for only the first six months of that year. After 2013, other observatories took over recording outages so I don't have plots available, although as I said the number is now several dozens a year.

Hilo and summit: https://goo.gl/wwUohC

Summit only: https://goo.gl/tAiBK5