Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
holy crap did you feel that earthquake just now?
9.0 magnitude quake and a 1000 foot wave eh? Hmm hope we don't need this "cleansing" too soon from now. Also that's a scary looking crack! Haven't said that since high-school P.E. class.
Who needs a lava flow hazard when you've got the great crack to deal with?
Apparently the recent flows of Kilauea out to sea have buttressed the Hilina slump a bit, making the chances of a catastrophic quake, slide and tsunami less likely, at least in the lifespan of those old folks here over 35. On the other hand, OP is young..[Wink]

Hey, did Naalehu get its name (Volcanic Ashes) for nuthin'?

I'm guessing "no".

Those Oceanview residents able to run a 10K in an hour or less shouldn't have a problem with any lava flow.
Huh, I did not know about that! thank you for telling me, that's gnarly! I'm not a fan of guessing, so I researched Naalehu for you, and I can't find anything in it's history of ever getting hit by lava, in fact, it's apparently shielded from the lava flows. As for lava flowing downhill, Discovery Harbor has it's own hills to protect against that!

Also about the Hilina Slump, the northeastern flank is pushing upwards, which makes it harder for it to slide down into the ocean. This upward push is caused by the lava flowing from Kilauea and Mauna Loa, and once that ends, then the Hilina Slump doesn't have anything to stop it from sinking. So, once the lava stops flowing I'll be worried, lol.

Yay Discovery Harbor! It's not as pretty as most of the island, it's 62 miles from any major location, barely anyone lives here, but we don't get vog, ever.

I don't know what it is, but vog just doesn't flow here-I smell it every time I go to Ocean View, its unmistakable. Even when the wind has stopped, there's no vog in DH. It's the weirdest thing, because DH is directly in the path of the emissions, but somehow it flows around us. DH is shielded from lava too, there's no historical account of lava ever hitting here.

Really, I just have to worry about earthquakes, but I have earthquake insurance and I live in a forest, no condos are gonna collapse on me out here.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Before this gets heated, a message from The Scousers - calm down!

https://youtu.be/6k2YEc6dozA

TomK @ 01:18:25-
LOL, appropriate for PW.
"If you read the researchers findings, you'll note there is more an argument for simultaneous feeding of both volcanoes than a back and forth between them."

Not quite:

https://www.livescience.com/24262-kilaue...inked.html
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.10....50470/pdf
http://news.rice.edu/2012/10/23/study-ex...lcanoes-2/
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012NatGe...5..826G
Glinda, I don't know what you're talking about, but I read those links. Inflation is different from magma flows.

The past decade of eruptions of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano may have acted as a pressure-relief valve for neighboring Mauna Loa, according to a new model suggesting two of the planet's biggest volcanoes connect deep underground.

And according to the study there is an inflation and an anti-inflaction correlation not a simple connection between the two.

Mauna Loa and Kilauea volcanoes, Hawaii, are thought
to be coupled by pore pressure diffusion through an
asthenospheric melt layer. However, abundant observations
of independent activity of these volcanoes suggest a more
complicated relationship. Here we analyze surface
deformation data, deep seismicity and gas measurements, to
reveal strong coupling of these volcanoes between 2003 and
2008. In early 2005, we find a shift from anticorrelation to
correlation of magma-chamber inflation.
The shift is
preceded by a seismic swarm in the mantle beneath Mauna
Loa and accompanied by a large silent slip event beneath the
south flank of Kilauea. This suggests that these volcanoes
are coupled during mantle-driven surges and that the
2005 silent slip event was triggered by accelerated
magma supply at Kilauea.

This complex inflation and anti-inflation is also outlined in the last study he linked

Over the past century, activity at the two volcanoes has been anti-correlated, which could reflect a competition for the same magma supply. Yet, during the past decade Kilauea and Mauna Loa have inflated simultaneously. Linked activity between adjacent volcanoes in general remains controversial. Here we present a numerical model for the dynamical interaction between Kilauea and Mauna Loa, where both volcanoes are coupled by pore-pressure diffusion, occurring within a common, asthenospheric magma supply system. The model is constrained by measurements of gas emission rates, indicative of eruptive activity, and it is calibrated to match geodetic measurements of surface deformation at both volcanoes, inferred to reflect changes in shallow magma storage.

To me the studies pretty much lean towards what Tom suggested, but they are not definitive.
glinda/dakine - you should take a little more care with your own reading ability, as I posted two links to the same study so you get the whole picture plus a link to the paper itself:

https://www.livescience.com/24262-kilaue...inked.html

"The study suggests that Mauna Loa's and Kilauea's opposing pattern — when one is active, the other is quiet — occurs because eruptions at one volcano release pressure in the other.

The model suggests Mauna Loa, which produced its most recent blast in 1984, had accumulated enough magma for another eruption, but its pressure was relieved by Kilauea's heightened activity.

"The hypothesis coming out of this model is that if we hadn't seen this increased activity at Kilauea, then we would not have seen this pressure relief," Gonnermann said.
"

If you weren't so insulting and determined to use ad hominem arguments, I might have discussed this further.
quote:
Originally posted by glassnumbers

Huh, I did not know about that! thank you for telling me, that's gnarly! I'm not a fan of guessing, so I researched Naalehu for you, and I can't find anything in it's history of ever getting hit by lava, in fact, it's apparently shielded from the lava flows. As for lava flowing downhill, Discovery Harbor has it's own hills to protect against that!

Ever drive down Southpoint road? You'll notice a section of black lava just south of Kamaoa road, crossing Joe Nadeau's property. That flow was from about 100 years ago (give or take) and is less than one mile from DH. Now that the land that directed that flow has changed, another flow from that area will be directed more towards Waiohunu/Naalehu.

Though we don't "worry" about lava here, no point in that. But I'd still not flaunt it in Pele's face. It might be green and lush outside, but it was once red-hot flowing lava... and could be again.
Just a little more from this "janitor" that can't read:

http://the-earth-story.com/post/12521518...C4%ABlauea

"Eruption frequencies between the two volcanoes appear linked in an opposite sort of way: when one is active (Kilauea at present), the other is dormant, and vice versa. Investigating these reciprocal eruptive cycles, researchers from Rice University, the University of Hawaii, Carnegie Institute and the USGS modeled the magma storage and transport system beneath the volcanoes. The results show that these two sister volcanos are indeed connected by a partially molten layer at about 50 km depth. This depth places this magma reservoir well into the earth’s mantle underlying Hawaii."

The article also links to a Civil Beat article:

http://www.civilbeat.org/2012/10/study-m...ths-upper/

"We’ve always known both Mauna Loa and Kilauea volcanoes are fed by the same hot spot. But new research shows the two volcanoes are connected, 50 miles below the earth’s surface. The discovery, researchers say, offers the “first plausible model that can explain both the opposing long-term eruptive patterns at Mauna Loa and Kilauea — when one is active the other is quiet, and vice-versa…”
The study, which appears in the November issue of Nature Geoscience, was a joint research project between the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Rice University, the U.S. Geological Survey and the Carnegie Institute of Washington."

Note that these all refer to one of the studies I posted above, the reference is Gonnermann, H.M., Nature Geoscience 5, 826–829, 2012, "Coupling at Mauna Loa and Kilauea by stress transfer in an asthenospheric melt layer".