Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give your Union a Shaka! How about a finger?
Good point -- taxes will keep going up, and government will keep doing less, but none of it matters and nobody cares anyway.
but like my perishable products, I have a limited shelf life

I'm with you KeaauRich. I wish they had self checkout at the Pahoa Long's Drugstore. I had to stop buying Melona Bars there because I never could get them out to my car still frozen. Then, if I attempted to salvage what was still somewhat solid and attached to the stick while driving, it'd dribble all over my pants. Which is not a good look, even in Pahoa.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Eat them in the store. Save the wrappers to be scanned at the checkout. For extra comfort, bring a folding chair.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Eat them in the store... For extra comfort, bring a folding chair.

Thanks, good suggestion.
Do you think this would work with 6 packs too?

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Guy in extra long line to person behind him... "Urp, hold my place, I'm outta beer"

Community begins with Aloha
Shout out to my checkout peeps in Kea'au Foodland. They are always fast AND friendly!

Seems to me we should stop increases of government spending/wages, but reducing them would hurt the economy until we have some sustainable industry to replace them. In this age of automation and outsourcing, what can Hawaii do uniquely and profitably?

randomq@ 14:04:16-
TMT.
Geothermal.
Tropical disease research.
Just a few quickies.[Big Grin]
TMT. Geothermal. Tropical disease research.

"Could" is technically correct, as is "won't".

Better question: how do we create a local economy based on something other than taxation, government services, and lawsuits?
"My reply to people who bash unions is, do you like your eight hour day? Do you like your overtime? Do you like the fact that children no longer work in factories?"

That was my point exactly, these things have been legislated into law. The unions did their job but for some reason they didn't become an important footnote in history, they stuck around. I don't know if that wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing prior to globalization.

As far as self-checkouts, ordering food from apps or kiosks, or printing out your boarding pass on a machine, these are being pushed out to the consumers because of increasing labor costs. Studies have shown that millennials especially prefer interacting with machines in this manner as opposed to dealing with humans, these things are going to become the norm. People who think burger flippers are required to be paid a 'living wage' will eventually learn that the real minimum wage is zero, the amount a person of low skills will be worth when it's cheaper to install automation.

Some day, I do believe we will reach the point of a basic universal income, but AI and automation have a long way to go before we can tax enough machines to do it. If the unions are trying to keep automation out of the shipping ports, then they are pushing back against a basic universal income. "Other people's money" will become the six-figure earners moving shipping containers, etc. People will wonder, why pay 1000 people $100,000.00 each (200k after benefits) if you can automate those jobs and give every citizen $500 for doing nothing.
Be it on the mainland or here in Puna,what are you going to do with those whose potential jobs have been displaced by robots etc?
Give them a wage for doing nothing? Give them sh-t,for doing nothing,or just turn your back which make those folks fend for themselves? Or draft them all into some lasting war for the military industrial complex?
Otherwise those not employed or engaged in the community somehow will come and rip off those whose are better than themselves.

What is the next thing you do with folk who have no income? Death or imprisonment to make goods for those who have money.

edit: changed material complex to military industrial complex
Slow Walker