Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jones act hurting Puerto Rico?
when they don those silly little outfits and strut up and down acting all self important.

Or even those who strut and stride without the outfit.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Anyway, from all the reports out there, suspending the Jones Act was not even needed. There are are over 9500 containers already on the docks, but they have no trucks/drivers, passable roads, to get them moved out.
leilanidude yesterday:
suspending the Jones Act won't help because the ports are damaged and the ships with the "goods" on them are container ships.

leilanidude today:
There are are over 9500 containers already on the docks

That was fast. Must be all those gymnastics, mental or otherwise. Don't forget the squat-thrusts for a full workout.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The Jones act or Merchant Marine act was passed during the Wilson(D) administration.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Anyway, from all the reports out there, suspending the Jones Act was not even needed. There are are over 9500 containers already on the docks, but they have no trucks/drivers, passable roads, to get them moved out.

Suspending it for 10 days is pointless. Debating suspending it is almost malicious. Doing both is just like sucker punching them. In general, as most people in Hawaii are aware, the Jones Act keeps the price of goods higher. The recovery of cash strapped Puerto Rico would be greatly aided by suspension of the Jones act for a year as was requested.

The bottom line is Trump doesn't know what he's doing and is just mimicking what highly biased people around him like Chao are telling him.

I'm reminded of Sartre when I see people who argue pointlessly to defend some of these positions:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play.

They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

If then, as we have been able to observe, the anti-Semite is impervious to reason and to experience, it is not because his conviction is strong. Rather his conviction is strong because he has chosen first of all to be impervious.

Sartre, 1944
Good news buried in this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/chec...094d0a0121

"The Pentagon has begun accelerating its response this week, opening a second airfield at the former Naval Station Roosevelt Roads, preparing the hospital ship USNS Comfort to deploy from Norfolk and establishing a caravan of cargo jets filled with equipment and supplies."

I also read (sorry no link) that commercial flights are going in loaded with relief supplies and out with people.
after reading this thread suggest it be moved to "politics " , also does not seem to relate to puna
Actually it does relate. Jones Act. Hurricane Zones. "Big ocean. Big Big ocean." Also Sen. Brian Schatz:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/...ter-relief
The Jones Act was waived for PR today.

However, there are over 10,000 shipping containers full of supplies already in PR ports and no truckers or clear roads to distribute them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/us/jo...ml?mcubz=1
That was mentioned a page or two ago terracore. The wavier was requested for a year, the 10 day waiver doesn't do anything for Puerto Rico. They don't even have roads or truck drivers right now. Texas and Florida it helps the petroleum industry in the short term because of proximity.

For those interested in how the Jones Act impacts things you never thought of, this Planet Money episode is pretty good (includes cattle rancher in Hawaii for relevance).

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/0...-jones-act

The economist on the show said the cost per job created is about $250,000 per job. He also said he knows no economists that support the Jones Act and it only benefits special interest groups which cost the US about $1 billion a year.