Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Airlines - announcement coming..
Not sure why everyone is looking forward to a 5+ hour flight on a 175 pax single aisle airplane

If it doesn't require an extra 3h in HNL with $30 lunch ...
Not sure why everyone is looking forward to a 5+ hour flight on a 175 pax single aisle airplane

Because we're from Puna, the low rent version of Hawaii? If it's $10 cheaper, I know people who will do it in a heartbeat, and the lack of baggage fees will push even more people in their direction. I would think about it, but consider all options and variables first.

Not sure why everyone is looking forward to a 5+ hour flight on a 175 pax single aisle airplane.The United non stop to Hilo is bad enough and it at least offers 1st class and economy comfort..

From what I read the interior is better (more room) than the current planes they fly, however they still won't have seat back screens. They tout "mood lighting" in a range of colors. I really don't get why that's noteworthy. Who cares? In any case, I have an iPad and can bring my own entertainment. Direct flights that cost less, with less fees and a good points/rewards program is a winner in my book.

An article about the 737 Max 8 interior:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/first-l...737-max-8/
You guys can all dream on but I just checked and the LAX-ITO flight on United tomorrow still has 32 seats available.
Be kind of hard for another airline to step into that market if the numbers aren't there.
I'm flying PIT-DTW-SEA-KOA tomorrow for a little over $500.00 economy plus on Delta.Delta offers free cocktails and better free snacks/fresh fruit.
13 hrs total travel time and I land at 7:00 PM.
the LAX-ITO flight on United

Great, except that I don't want to go to LAX.

PIT-DTW-SEA-KOA ... 13 hrs total

Must be nice to have that kind of time, plus be able to afford food/drink on three layovers...
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Not sure why everyone is looking forward to a 5+ hour flight on a 175 pax single aisle airplane.The United non stop to Hilo is bad enough and it at least offers 1st class and economy comfort.

I don't notice a comfort difference between Hawaiian's wide bodies and Alaska's single aisles, and my inseam is 35".

Heck yeah, a direct flight to ITO would be way better.
LAX-ITO flight on United tomorrow still has 32 seats available.

Obie,
I think availability on that flight varies by day of the week. Whenever I've taken it, it's either 100% full, or about 1/3 empty. When you can find 3 empty seats in a row, you can put up the armrests and get a good nights sleeps. Or 4-5 hours worth anyway.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
737 Max 8 interior... first impression is... that's a lot of middle seats!
"You guys can all dream on but I just checked and the LAX-ITO flight on United tomorrow still has 32 seats available. Be kind of hard for another airline to step into that market if the numbers aren't there."

"Southwest executives also acknowledged that they are evaluating offering interisland travel — a move that would cut into Hawaiian Airlines’ stranglehold in the islands and potentially hurt smaller local carriers Island Air, Mokulele Airlines and Makani Kai Air. In addition, Southwest said it is considering nonstop flights to neighbor islands."

Alaska flies a few flights a day Alaskans call "the milk run". Basically the flights start in Seattle and end in Anchorage, but they stop at a few ports along the way. For example the SEA-ANC flight might also stop at KTN and JNU. At KTN they drop off the pax that were flying to KTN and pick up the pax that were flying to JNU. At JNU they pick up the pax that were flying to ANC. It makes for a long flight for those going from SEA to ANC with those two extra stops but they never have any problems filling them. They run a similar flight that originates in ANC and ends in SEA that stops off at two other ports similarly along the way.

Using a similar strategy, any airline could supply both mainland and inter-island service. A flight could originate in HNL and fly to ITO, drop off the interisland passengers and fill those seats with ITO pax flying to the mainland.

Basically, the airline flies roughly the same number of miles, but gets more paying customers into the same number of seats.

A Hawaii milk run would be disadvantaged because the overall flight times might be less acceptable (Hawaii is further away from the mainland than Alaska is), but on the other hand interisland travel wouldn't have the horrible weather delays and cancellations that are routine on Alaska milk runs. Many times did I intend to fly to one Alaska city only to fly over it and wind up getting dumped off somewhere else...
leilanidude- I thought the same thing about those middle seats! It's also a pain for whoever's on the window to get out when they need to. 3 and 3 always uncomfortable.