Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
disturbing Hilo Airport USPS issues
We've had a disturbing number of incidents with the USPS office near the airport recently. Specifically:

1 A lot of incidents where they have our packages but never put the claim slips in the PO box alerting us so we can claim them. Recently, wondering where my package was, I checked the tracking number and learned it was scheduled to be returned to the sender they had it so long, but they never gave us the claim slip. Nor did they alert us the package was about to be sent back to the sender.

2 In an incident last week, an item was marked "delivered" in our PO box, but our box was empty. Nobody there (so far) has been any help in explaining where our stuff is. (Best case scenario is they put it in the wrong box, worse case scenario is something more nefarious).

3 One time there was a key in my box for a parcel locker, but when I opened the parcel locker it was empty. Nobody could explain how that happened. I checked my expected deliveries, and I couldn't find anything that was missing. I returned to the parcel locker later and determined the lock had malfunctioned (or was it tampered with? I was able to easily remove the key that is supposed to stay in there after the customer opens the locker). I alerted them to the problem and told me they would take the locker out of service, but there was no explanation on how the key wound up in my PO box in the first place. I can only assume that somebody sent me something I wasn't expecting, therefore I didn't "miss" not getting it.

4 I get a lot of mail in my box that is clearly marked for a different box. Normally I just shove it back through the box so it falls on the floor in the back so they can hopefully get it right a second time. But a few months ago I got what was clearly a paper check from the US Treasury (it looked like a tax refund) addressed to a different box so I waited in line and took it to the counter and expressed my displeasure that they would treat somebody's money so carelessly as to try and give it to somebody else. (That's the job of politicians har har). I mean it's one thing to put the wrong magazine in somebody's box but a US Treasury check for pete's sake...

My complaints to the local office have gone nowhere, so I am going to escalate. If they are having these many problems before Christmas, I can't imagine how bad things are going to get in the next few months.

My question is, is anybody else having problems, and if so, what types? I'm talking more about the out-of-the-ordinary variety not just the occasional mess-up one would expect from the USPS.

In the meantime I suggest:

Everything you order, track the package manually and when it says it was delivered, go in and claim it. I've had two packages in two weeks that were almost returned to sender because they have apparently stopped putting half the claim forms in my box.

If you remove something from a parcel locker, check to make sure the key can't be removed when you are done. If it does, alert somebody.

I don't have any suggestions for what to do when the USPS says they put something in your box and it isn't there. It's not like they can claim it was stolen off a porch or something.
Over a year ago I had a fob removed from envelope (cut) at Pahoa PO. Tracking began and ended there. Open Envelope made it to CA. The clerk said I could not insure it without a receipt. I said I had receipts for car. Of course, should have walked, but .....Also, filled out stolen item, reverse searches all kinds of forms.... nothing
USPS complaints for the Big Island go to Honolulu and die there.
Send your complaint to San Francisco.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I have also had issues with the Hilo Airport Post Office where I get all my mail. They sent packages back to the senders when they were supposed to be holding my mail during a vacation and then refused to refund the charges to the shipper. When I complained, I was told, "Yes we were supposed to hold your mail, but we only held the letters." What? A $55,000 cashier's check sent certified, return receipt with tracking was logged in as in the local office and ready for delivery, but it never turned up in my box. Three weeks later and after I had paid the Georgia bank fees for wiring the money and cancelling the check (not easy to do) they found it. When I complained the clerk at the front desk just rolled her eyes and said, "Three weeks isn't that bad. They should have paid extra for overnight." I pointed out that it was in their location five days after it was mailed, but it took them three weeks to get it in my box. She just shrugged at that. I asked for a supervisor and got an apology for both the incident and the clerk's attitude. The supervisor acted like it wasn't that unusual for such things to happen. And since some of you are probably wondering, it was a Georgia estate attorney who told the bank to mail the check. At least the bank had the sense to track it.
I remember at our local Post Office in Honolulu a lot of regular users were frustrated that they did not have a counter along the waiting line. Such counters are extraordinarily useful, not only for filling forms while one is waiting, but more so for resting heavy packages while waiting. Particularly useful for elderly people with heavy packages during holiday season. And during wet winters when placing a package on the wet floor means picking it up later gets your clothes or the counter wet and dirty.

But they had a large TV hanging from the ceiling. So patrons said: If you got money to spend on a big TV for entertainment, how about a counter like the ones other post offices in Honolulu have--say about 4 1/2 feet high and 8 feet long. The counters are pretty standard.

"On no," replied the manager. "We can't just do that. We have to get permission from the mainland. And hire a designer for the counter."

How about you just use the designs from the other Honolulu post offices that have counters? The size would fit perfectly here.

"No, that has never been done. We have to go through the mainland and apply for approvals and get a designer."

The counter was eventually obtained after patrons appealed to mainland managers for action. The local manager was disgruntled that patrons complained to the mainland. Time from 1st raising of issue to counter completion: nearly two years.

The fact that they did not perceive to begin with that patrons need a counter far more than a TV? Hard to fathom.
In my opinion people do not complain enough.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Agreed! Grumbly wheel gets da greasy kine stuffs...

Complaining only gets you branded "troublemaker with bad attitude".

The sad reality is: if they already got your money and/or a monopoly lock on the services you need, they simply Do Not Care.

Part of the problem is that the PO has no money, and is losing money. So things that cost money, counters, mailboxes, repairs have to wait for the expense to be allocated in their budget.

Putting your mail in your mailbox - - that's already in the budget and it's what they're getting paid for. The problem in that case is its almost impossible to fire a postal worker. Have you ever stood in line at Hilo PO waiting for your turn to buy stamps? There is one guy there, Larry, who helps a single customer while every other worker has completed three transactions. He lines up everything at perfect right angles, the letter on his scale, the stamp on your envelope...
In any other business he would have been dismissed 10 years ago, they would lose too much money keeping him on.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves