Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness
Just a heads up. Per every forecast I see, tons of rain starting Sunday and lasting for about 10 days. Winter is coming.
So maybe some snow on Mauna Kea? Tom?
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/bulletins.cgi

"...Additionally, with deep moisture in place over the Big Island
through the entire period, some hefty snow amounts may occur over
the summits, with accumulations likely measured in feet. "

I've been wearing sweat pants and sweat jacket for two weeks here in mountain view.. winter is already here.
Not even 6pm and I'm freezing here in HA...
Yes, we're having an actual change of seasons this year. We're loving flannel shirts and socks weather. We're even using actual blankets on quiet nights with no fans or Coqui. Seems like we get more work done around the place when it's cool too. Happy Winter!
Yeah a bit strange and early this cold spell. Not even winter till Dec 21 and winter weather now. Was in Glenwood yesterday for Thanksgiving and it was sooo cold!! Wind chill probably in 50s
DoryGray - the main forecaster for the Mauna Kea Weather Center is on leave so the summit-specific forecasts lack the usual amount of detail. However, the NWS is calling for lots of snow at the summits and given the summary on the MKWC site, I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant amount of snow start falling sometime on Sunday. As the storm may last a few days, I wouldn't be surprised to see the summit access road closed this weekend for a few days while the snow is cleared and the ice allowed to melt.
Laundry hung. DRY DRY DRyY !
PS. The NWS is now backing away from the forecast of feet of snow on the summits, but we'll probably get some significant snow nevertheless. The next MKWC forecast won't come until Monday morning so have to rely on the NWS for now.