Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
our popular governor
our popular governor who tried with all her effort a while back, to block the recycling bill, the "bottle bill" which thankfully was passed, and who staunchly backs bush's failed oil war, yesterday proved again why she's so popular. she veto'd a bill to include 2 liter plastic bottles in the recycling bottle bill(because, darn it the 5 cents would hurt familes)and also veto'd a bill to give health insurance to the children of hawaii who aren't covered. now i know why she's so popular.

She also veto'ed a bill (HB 2878)to give a state backed 25 million dollar revenue bond to a mainland company who wants to build a lumber mill in a residential area. They managed to get it through the legislature without the communities involved finding out about it and the only hope of stopping it until the communities could discuss it first was the Governor's veto. She listened to the communities and we adore our governor!

(She is also a Republican, she has to "back" Bush, it is the required party line.)

Did you read her veto memos? You can read them online and she probably has valid reasons for veto'ing the bills. She doesn't veto lightly since it takes a lot of work to get a bill through the legislature and if she did veto too much the rest of the legistlature wouldn't work with her anymore.

Here is the URL for the veto messages:
http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/leg/2006/gov/l...04-19.5231

Our government is small enough here that you can make a difference if you want to. If you think those two bills are important, find out what the exact concerns were which got them veto'ed, find a way to fix them and have them put on next year's legislation.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Linda Lingle got elected because people were fed up with the back-room, good old boy culture of the Hawaii Democratic party (Dan Akaka take note) and the petty favoritism and near-corruption that went along with all that. I am a life-long Democrat, and I think she has done a reasonably good job. I don't know how she has managed not to get thrown out of the Republican party, being pro-choice and several other things Republicans usually don't tolerate, but then Hawaii IS different. Despite her tolerance of the Bush war, she is about the best we can hope for from EITHER party.

Aloha,
Jerry