Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PUNA KIDNAPPING suspect vehicle #HCD-702
$25K bail for kidnapping + sundries? There has to be a lot more to this story.
police charged Nasario and Sosa with kidnapping

What a coincidence! Their names both end with a vowel!
The burnt remnants of the suspect’s vehicle were discovered at the Lava Tree State Park

Charge the faka with abandonment, vandalism, and littering as well.
The burnt remnants of the suspect’s vehicle were discovered at the Lava Tree State Park
=============
No doubt, another stolen vehicle.
quote:
Originally posted by Kenney

From my experience (working Corrections in Hawaii,albeit in a Medical capacity ) sending inmates to the private Mainland prisons doesn’t really help Leilaniguy. Our Inmates just form gangs to protect themselves and eventually return here with a whole new set of issues.

Nice to see a voice of reason. The facts are that longer sentences and tougher punishment do nothing to reduce crime. Studies show that increased policing with increased probability of being caught does reduce crime, as does education and poverty reduction. Prisons currently tend to be institutions where criminals learn how to be better criminals from other criminals. There needs to be more work done to change behavior rather than punish behavior (which quite evidently doesn't work.) The US model of building more jails (and for profit jails in particular) has been a complete and utter failure.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Prisons currently tend to be institutions where criminals learn how to be better criminals

To quote a certain famous felon: "When you're in prison, and a guy asks if you 'want to learn how to pick a Master lock', you don't say no."
VancouverIsland: "The facts are that longer sentences and tougher punishment do nothing to reduce crime."

Beg to differ. 3 theories here: 1) eye for eye, retribution 2) deterrence, both for the perpetrator (specific) and for criminals at large (general) and 3) incapacitation. (theories of rehabilitation and restitution can be put aside)

Liberals offer reasonable objections to wisdom of #1. You write "Studies show...increased probability of being caught does reduce crime."

Correct. Deterrence is not known to be super effective but the value of both types of deterrence have been found to rest largely on the likelihood of being caught, not severity of punishment.

But #3, incapacitation, is very effective. People do not offend while locked up. Lock up enough people, as the U.S. did in the 1980s, and crime falls (it fell in the 1990s)(there were also other reasons for this fall in crime).

Large scale imprisonment has huge social consequences. Many good arguments against it. But the charge that it does not help reduce crime is not one of them.
Large scale imprisonment has... consequences... the charge that it does not help reduce crime is not one of them.

America already has more citizens locked in prison that almost any other country. So the question becomes, how many more? What would it take so we say incapacitation is effective, and working? Now I finally feel safe.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The facts are that longer sentences and tougher punishment do nothing to reduce crime.
-------
If the criminal is locked up, they can't continue to commit crimes against the law abiding populace.
"What would it take so we say incapacitation is effective, and working?

It is effective. It does not stop crime. It suppresses it.

We suppress all sorts of things. Illegal immigration. Drug use. Traffic violations. Fire Ants. Littering and other nuisance behaviors. And serious crime.

Fact of life that we can rarely halt a problem completely.