Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of the Superferry?
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...t-feasible

But this section left out the Hilo-Honolulu option, despite it being one of the most popular in surveys. Instead, that section looked at two intra-island routes -- between Honolulu and Kalaeloa on Oahu, and Lahaina and Maalaea on Maui -- and interisland routes from Honolulu to Kahului, and from Maui to Molokai.

Be thankful we're not being "asked" to pay for another transit option with zero direct benefit.
It was interesting how "localism" was a major basis for opposition to the ferry. Such as locals on neighbor islands worried about hardcore fisherman from Oahu with a truck full of fishing gear and coolers, traveling to a neighbor island shoreline for a day, "cleaning out" the reef and then returning to Oahu with their booty.

It seemed like a ridiculous argument. And then those Oahu residents were caught after they took a large truck to Maui, filled up the back with hundreds of rocks from a park, and then were caught heading back to Honolulu. TV showed the footage. As I recall, that helped start the backlash against the ferry.
Common sense never wins here. This isn't over.
"localism" was a major basis for opposition to the ferry... hardcore fisherman from Oahu... traveling to a neighbor island... "cleaning out" the reef and then returning to Oahu with their booty
...then those Oahu residents... filled up the back with hundreds of rocks from a park,

So one question then might be, was it the science and technology (Superferry) that people objected to, or was it the outsiders, The Others from Oahu taking what rightfully belonged to the locals on neighbor islands? We live here, we saw the fish and the rocks first. Kapu you.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
No coquis on the other islands? Did Kauai's chickens eat them all?
Here's the story. It could be considered a one-off event. But if ferry resumes we could see similar actions. (No opinion here; just an observation.)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/09/...-maui.html

943 rocks??? They must have pigs as big as buffaloes if they need to build imus that big...
I haven't had a chance to read the whole report yet, but from what I have read, I have mixed feelings. I am very troubled by the fact that only four routes were examined and then extrapolated to the whole island chain, and what happened to the facilities that were built for the Superferry. Are they no longer available?

The fact that tourism wasn't included stunned me. What could be better for a family on a Hawaii vacation to rent a car on Oahu and then keep that car while using the ferry to visit the other islands?

On the other hand, the study is for a local government-run ferry service, so yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's economically unfeasible. There are so many examples that show this to be the case.

Private ferry services operate all over the world and make a profit, even in places where it might be quicker to fly. Just last November, Pam and I took a ferry between the UK and Ireland and back again. The Irish sea is hardly a mill pond but the service is regular and affordable especially if you take a car. Same goes for the UK and Ireland and mainland Europe with some crossings taking several hours or even a day, but are still feasible, despite a plethora of airlines or trains to use.
I seem to notice a lack of competition for inter-island travel.
I'm just thinking about the pluses and minuses of an inter-island ferry or ferry system within the islands.
Good or bad, not so simple.
Had to do a lot of thinking after the Lingle era debacle.
The question remains, "What are we going to do to make a thriving economy here?"
Can some one give us ideas and proposals?
So let me get this straight, Hawaii in general has fought against any type of travel ban when it comes to letting people come and go as they please with impunity, but when it comes to the ferry, well you know. Simply laughable. Just pointing out the hypocrisy.