Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inbound missle from N. Korea alert.
The usual trio... together, again.

And NOW! TONIGHT!! Together again after all these years, Uncle Robert's is proud to present...
On drums and lead vocals... heeeerree's ggggllliinnda!!!
On bass HhhOooPpTE!!!
And tearing up the lead guitar... Eric1600!!!!

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It reeks of government scam. Then a false alert in Japan. To scare the citizens and ensure more "yes" votes for money to go to military funding.

There are many other alerts: High surf, Wind, Tropical storms, Flash floods etc etc. There hasn't been any mistaken alerts of those types. Has there? I don't remember any. How could the mother of all alerts, the worst possible one be sent and nothing said of it till 38 minutes later. Ultra fear tactic.
It reeks of government scam.

You have the freedom to ignore the warning and do nothing, or the freedom to heed the warning and find shelter. Take your pick. Either way, government will find a way to extract your money* without a good reason, a bad reason, or any excuse whatsoever.

Government will spend your tax dollars at a Korean Hostess Bar without warning, then later create an imaginative scenario in which the setting created jobs and other wonderful benefits for you and others on the Big Island.

Freedom.

* Helpful hint, if you own a business don't forget! Your quarterly estimated taxes are due as well as 4th quarter excise tax. And yearly reconciliation.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
TomK...
On our street in Keaau town, 3 different neighbors heard what we initial thought was a house/car alarm, that had the varietable tone like the new alert... this sound was lower volume than the Dec. test, which was already very low volume
I was not certain what I was hearing & checked my phone, then the computer... & sought shelter
My other neighbors dismissed it & continued with their chores.... we only realized we had all heard the same tone with different reactions afterwards...
Was it the Keaau CD alarm on very low volume??? as it was very similar to the Dec test, I am going to guess that is what it was (mainly because I have no idea what else would be heard just after 8am on Sat by the 3 neighbors...) ... but I am not even sure there is a way of actually KNOWING which sirens went off.... & even if there is, doubt we we ever really know...

I have shared the following insight, gained from talking to many people over this weekend
as more of this is made public, the ease of instituing a false alarm has become very apparent.
This was not just the one individual, this was the programmer of the system, the multiple people who approved of & used this alert system daily & did not realize the implication of an incorrect selection of the pull down menu.
But I have to admit, I was not totally prepared for this, either & I am sure that each & every every one of us, looking back, were not so thoroughly prepared for this alarm that we are now saying "we did every thing right"
Each of us should now look at our response, and learn from it... It is not a joke, there are things each of us can learn from this to decrease the potential for harm...
This is the true REASON we have the alerts, not to eliminate the potential of hazard, but to reduce the extent of harm that could happen...
eric1600 - it's extremely naive to try and blame one president or political party.

truth...great statement Eric...I stand with Rob on Truth
but...continuance of negative reference to our President is not productive and or Puna related...

Frank, I don't understand your implication. My negative references were not about the man himself but in regards to his actions. Is it wrong to be critical of a leader with no foreign policies, who makes public disparaging playground style arguments and declares that war is the only solution? I'm not sure how to be positive about those things. Why don't you tell me. I would feel safer if there was real rational explanation for this Administrations actions.

The usual trio posting together, again. So predictable.
Eric1600
HOPTE
glinda

leilanidude, typical of you to produce one or two sentences attacking the person rather than actually saying something of value.
I was not totally prepared for this, either & I am sure that each & every every one of us, looking back, were not so thoroughly prepared for this alarm that we are now saying "we did every thing right"
Each of us should now look at our response, and learn from it...

Yes.
You hit the nail on the head Carey.
The most important question to take away from this event is not "what went wrong,'" or "who's to blame." The question we should be asking ourselves is "was I prepared," or at least as prepared as we'd like to be if it were a real attack.

I know I wasn't, it definetly caught me off guard. Thanks Carey, for pointing out the silver lining in what was an otherwise surprisingly bad situation all the way around.

Speaking of belligerence and war mongering (see my comment on the previous page), Hickam Base on Oahu announced 300 airman and 6 B-52's have headed to Guam for deployment:

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/A...e-mission/

quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

eric1600 - it's extremely naive to try and blame one president or political party.

truth...great statement Eric...I stand with Rob on Truth
but...continuance of negative reference to our President is not productive and or Puna related...

Frank, I don't understand your implication. My negative references were not about the man himself but in regards to his actions. Is it wrong to be critical of a leader with no foreign policies, who makes public disparaging playground style arguments and declares that war is the only solution? I'm not sure how to be positive about those things. Why don't you tell me. I would feel safer if there was real rational explanation for this Administrations actions.

The usual trio posting together, again. So predictable.
Eric1600
HOPTE
glinda

leilanidude, typical of you to produce one or two sentences attacking the person rather than actually saying something of value.

i think your statement is true...don't over think it
I don't know if any of you have seen the picture of the "drop-down" menu that was used to issue the alert, but it's a horrible mishmash of options and clearly not designed to be particularly user-friendly.

Washington Post: https://goo.gl/u9BN6Z
Anybody see a pattern here ?

"Hawaii Health Connector
The state chose to use CGI Group, the same contractor responsible for HealthCare.gov, and in the end, it took two weeks past the deadline for Hawaii’s glitch-plagued site to fully launch. By some accounts, CGI’s problems were predictable. The company was chosen even after it presided over a problematic $87 million upgrade of Hawaii’s tax-collection system. The tax system it built has crashed repeatedly, and it will cost up to $50 million more to repair."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/36...y-melchior