Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof leak repair metal roof
Looks like it's time to call in a good roof repair person. Any suggestions? It's related to event tube for a bathroom. The previous home owner had been fighting this leak for an unknown amount of time. There is built up goo , probably Henry's and I can't get it to seal anymore. I'm 64 with a bad right knee and other health problems too.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I wish I knew. Tar and the Thompson's don't stop the leaks and gaco too expensive.
I’ve seen lots of roofs with vents near the bottom edge of the roof (including mine!). Why aren’t they put up near the peak where it would be a simple matter to add flashing and kick the Henry stuff to the curb.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
This might be the time to patch over the hole in the roof and go with a waste vent valve. These are relatively new and allow you to put them in the attic crawl space with no holes in the roof. This is what I expect to use when I next re-roof. Here is one example:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/autovent.html
Home Depot also has them listed...
Try Handy Jim Dandy, I haven't used him yet, but have heard good things about him. And you gotta appreciate the name :-)

http://www.handyjimdandy.com/

Good luck, nothing worse than a leak! Dot

Not to sure about using those with the warm, putrid smelling gas that vents emit into an already damp attic space from all the rain in Puna, full of bacterium. Another common mistake is venting your "fart fan" into the attic space, as it produces lots of warm, humid air from taking showers, resulting in fungus/rot growth and attract termites due to the high moisture content.
Just my thoughts...

Community begins with Aloha
waste vent valve

These are technically "supplemental" to a proper vent, not a "replacement".

I'm using the Oatey 1.5" from Amazon; it comes with a slip ABS fitting that can be "glued right on".

That said ... they work great, and there's no reason you can't go through the wall near the roof, with the vent tucked under the overhang. Best of both worlds: venting outside, no hole through the roof.
I cut holes in roofs a lot for electrical service. Never had a problem using henry's. There is another product that ACE sells called Thru-the -roof. Its a super strong silicone sealer that dries to an impenetrable finish.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
"Not to sure about using those with the warm, putrid smelling gas that vents emit into an already damp attic space "

If these are working correctly they open to let air in so the water in the trap doesn't get sucked down the drain and then close to prevent odors from entering the house.I have successfully used them for quite a few years.
We had a perpetually leaking vent-through-roof on the permitted addition (this was in `05, addition done my previous owner in 2000) that we could not figure out...
Until we totally redid EVERYTHING & found that the PERMITTED vent had never been glued together, was just loose fit! mind you we made sure that this house addition was permitted & FINALLED... yet the vent stack was never completed....
Not saying that this is your problem, but it COULD be, based on the competence of our building dept & their permitting!