Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Public Schools & Teacher Salaries
My sister has a masters degree and works in education on the mainland. She complains about her pay, but on the other hand she only works about 8 months out of the year. I don't know what teachers make here (I didn't read any of the articles) but if the amount is calculated on a per-hour-worked basis, does it seem more fair then? When I was in school many of the instructors considered their summers off, spring break, winter break, plus every holiday in between to be a sort of "benefit" to be calculated into their "compensation" much like airline workers endure lower pay for flight and other travel benefits.

leilanidude,
So are you saying Hawaii teachers are paid too little, or too much? Or both?

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

My sister has a masters degree and works in education on the mainland. She complains about her pay, but on the other hand she only works about 8 months out of the year. I don't know what teachers make here (I didn't read any of the articles) but if the amount is calculated on a per-hour-worked basis, does it seem more fair then? When I was in school many of the instructors considered their summers off, spring break, winter break, plus every holiday in between to be a sort of "benefit" to be calculated into their "compensation" much like airline workers endure lower pay for flight and other travel benefits.

You make a good point, terracore.

With the shortest amount of instructional days in the school year, in the nation, plus the 21 sick days and the vacation days (vacation days when you already only work 8 months?)

School days are also among the shortest in the country.

School starts at 8am and gets out at 2pm, with a 15 minute recess and a 30 minute lunch period. Take out the 4, 5 minute "passing" times (moving from class to class) and you are down to 4 hours and 55 minutes a day

I know that immediately, someone will claim that teachers spend dozens of hours a week before and after school hours prepping/grading, etc, but the fact is, that right here in Hawaii, that is a rarity.

My kids rarely had any homework assignments at all, even in high school. (Very recent experience here) The teachers also get 1 prep periods each school day in which to do these tasks. Since there are only 5 classes per day, this means that a teacher only has 4 classes a day. Recall back to when you may have went to high school and had 7 classes in an 8 hour day and 190-200 days of instruction a year.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

leilanidude,
So are you saying Hawaii teachers are paid too little, or too much? Or both?

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18

I think he's saying both. Quality, seasoned teachers attempting to transfer from the mainland don't get paid what they're worth while entrenched,("lazy?") local teachers are getting paid too much.
Whether there's any truth to this, I couldn't say.
entrenched,("lazy?") local teachers are getting paid too much

The same could be said of most public employees in Hawaii -- don't single out the teachers, they're actually trying to make a difference for our collective future.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/01/heres-w...-for-cops/

ps - just for hopte.. I also posted this on 1/29/18!

Sort thru and look at how many TEACHERS - YES, TEACHERS.. make over 100,000 a year.

So I used their search tool and for the entire DOE there seem to be over 300 entries over 100000. All of them appear to be Principals or higher level admin. No class room teachers. NOT TEACHERS - NO, NOT TEACHERS. FAKE NEWS!!!

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Vancouver.. You need to learn how to use the search tool.

12 month elementary teachers, 56 records, range is $72,304 to 104,186.
12 month complex area teacher 16 records, range is $72,304 to 104,186
There are several dozen different type of teacher categories to search thru.

Of course, someone is bound to say, that's a range. Yes it is. Some are at the low end, some in the middle and some at the high end.

Proof is, there are $100,000+ teachers in Hawaii.
12 month elementary teachers, 56 records, range is $72,304 to 104,186.

Could you break that down to support your original comment about the surprising number of $100,000 teacher salaries?

leilanidude said:
The majority of the teachers in Pahoa are making over $75k.
A surprising number are right at $100k

How many earn $100,000 - $104,186?
How many of those teach in Pahoa?

And back to my recent post about the shortage of teachers in Hawaii, if there are so many $70,000 - $105,000 jobs available (if not starting pay, but at some point in a person's career), why are the positions so hard to fill?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Another question:

According to leilanidude's efficiency expert breakdown of the time teachers actually work:

4 hours and 55 minutes a day
190-200 days of instruction a year.

How many other $100,000 a year jobs with those hours are found in Puna District? Or for that matter, anywhere in Hawaii? And yet, job openings remain? There should be a line of candidates waiting to get on the gravy train, stretching around the block, don't you think?

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Another question:

According to leilanidude's efficiency expert breakdown of the time teachers actually work:

4 hours and 55 minutes a day
190-200 days of instruction a year.

How many other $100,000 a year jobs with those hours are found in Puna District? Or for that matter, anywhere in Hawaii? And yet, job openings remain? There should be a line of candidates waiting to get on the gravy train, stretching around the block, don't you think?

You twisted it again. Normal for you tho.

Hawaii has 180 days. Many others have 190+

You also didn't pay attention to the other posts about how the DOE refuses to hire experienced teachers from the mainland at competitive pay. They will only give an incoming mainland teacher credit for up to 6 years of experience, even if they have 15 or 20. This effectively shuts out most experienced mainland teachers from moving.