Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We pay for Oahu Rail
Latest news - the company that designed the bridge which collapsed and killed 6 people in Florida last week also worked on the Honolulu rail project:

A spokesman, however, says there’s no reason to suspect any safety concerns.
“It had some minor issues, some not so minor issues, but obviously not a collapse, so I don't think the rail is under a threat,”

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37768...olulu-rail

Nothing going on here...

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I wonder if the rail line will ever open. They’ll decide the maintenance costs are too high (Was there any mention of ongoing maintenance?)...
Might make a nice “bike lane”.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I wonder if the rail line will ever open.

It's only profitable so long as it's never completed.
As soon as they decided that it wasn’t going to UH or the airport it was obvious that it was never meant to run.
it wasn't going to UH or the airport

...or Waikiki, or the Blaisdell, or Queen's Hospital.

There's no published fare ... but they did give the stations "native Hawaiian" names so that you can't easily tell where they are.
"A number of major car companies have announced the dates by which they will only make electric cars, ranging from 2019-2023. Self-driving cars will be introduced during that time frame and soon after. Then we'll say, self-driving electric cars are... cars."

The car manufacturers correctly forecast that the dogpiling of regulations would eventually make cars too expensive for individuals to own so they modified their business model from selling vehicles to selling the individual rides. The self-driving cars won't be sold to us. They will own and maintain the vehicles, and they will charge us by the mile (or whatever) to ride in them. Eventually they will be the only vehicles allowed on most roads. There will be a lot less cars on the road and in parking lots (most cars are only actively driven about 15% of their existence, sometimes much less, autonomous vehicles will just go from one paying ride to the next).

Eventually it will be robots building cars that will be driven by other robots, but I'm confident that the Hawaii version of the DMV will find a way to make the bureaucratic process overly burdensome on everybody.
They will own and maintain the vehicles, and they will charge us by the mile (or whatever) to ride in them.

Which also means they will decide where and when these rides will be given, and at what price. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?
Should the Honolulu Rail project now include portions where it operates underwater, like a submarine?

In a little over 30 years, a portion of Oahu’s elevated rail system that will run through Honolulu's urban core could be submerged in floodwaters ... rail officials acknowledge. Under this scenario, and barring mitigation efforts, the support columns holding up the rail guideway would be under water and the station entryways could be inaccessible.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37821...ady-for-it

If they do include submarine capabilities, and as long as we're paying for it, could they extend the project and connect one station to Hilo?

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
In a little over 30 years, a portion of Oahu’s elevated rail system that will run through Honolulu's urban core could be submerged in floodwaters

Rail won't be finished by then, so this is hardly a problem.
kalakoa @ 14:02:09 03/30/2018-
HOTPE @ 12:59:02 03/30/2018-

There's a couple of shorter term catastrophes possible-
1) A major hurricane and storm surge renders HART unusable -or-
2) A major landslide from say, Mauna Loa generates a major tsunami and
renders at least Honolulu unusable.