Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Walkouts
Maybe we should exclude some more categories. Shootings by the mentally ill. Or any shooting by a retired postal worker. That would reduce the number even more.
MarkP: How is this different from say a 30.06 bolt action hunting rifle?

It's very different. It's not just the total energy, there's a complex interplay of the velocity, mass, and the target. A heavy bullet like a .30-06, especially at relatively close range, has so much energy that it will often simply punch through a person and go out the other side. A smaller buller like the 5.56mm slows down quickly when it hits a body, giving up most of its energy in the form of hydrostatic shock that rips apart tissues as described. It also tends to tumble and/or fragment which causes even more damage.

This article is a good review of it (with quotes from the inventor), and how the military screwed up the design of the M-16 and actually made it less lethal than the original AR-15.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...ry/545153/
Anyone who has ever used an AR-15 variant will know that even the 30 round magazines are tough to use. Jams are frequent due to the high spring pressure. I could not imagine that one of those 100 round magazines would work if loaded more than 3/4 full due to the spring pressure that would be needed. You also would not want to load and store one of those with 100 in it. It would ruin the spring in no time at all. When my boys and I have used them, we generally only fill the 30's with 25 to avoid jams.
Half of this thread has ended up being a primer on weapons specs (probably much to the irritation of gun control supporters.) You gun buffs are humorous.

I'm therefore going to chirp in that none of the inventors or experts cited thus far have done more for weapons advancement than Mikhail Kalashnikov, relatively speaking.

He made American weapons engineers of his era look like novices. The efficiency of his work and inefficiency of ours probably cost us 10,000 lives in Vietnam.

At this point I'm just enjoying Paul's feigned rhetoric and calling people names when they all asleep then him melting down BC no one taking his bait.
Melting down?

How's the illegal airport parking business, going?
Seeing a lot of racist undertones in the gun lobby, thanks for the wake-up call Old Croc.
Amusing how they try to turn it around and say those in favor of common sense gun laws are ignoring the urban slaughter going on.
Uh, there wouldn't be so much of a bloodbath if guns weren't so freely available.
Why won't anyone tell me what an acceptable number of murdered schoolchildren is?
Whatever number you pick, we'll get there soon enough if your beloved NRA has its way.
Why won't anyone tell me what an acceptable number of murdered schoolchildren is?

I assume it's one for each child killed by the illegal US occupation of the middle east?

Fair is fair, right?
Uh, uh, Look at that interesting thing over there!