Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the affordable housing lie
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...solutions/

Resolution 519 accepts $23,600 from Wainani 42 LLC to satisfy the affordable housing requirement for a rezoning that allowed the construction of 50 units at its North Kona site ... Houses in the subdivision are listed for sale on real estate websites ranging from $559,000-$929,000.

That's funny, I thought the affordable housing inventory was taken up by illegal AirBnB rentals? Stolen right out from under the poor working class?

The money collected from affordable housing payments goes into the county's housing revolving fund ... "It can be used for any housing program within a 25-mile radius,"

There's "affordable" housing in North Kona? Really?
Resolution 519 accepts $23,600 from Wainani 42 LLC to satisfy the affordable housing requirement for a rezoning... 50 units ... Houses... ranging from $559,000-$929,000.

50 homes.
$500,000-$1,000,000 each.
Total contribution to affordable housing: $23,600.

Question: how many affordable housing units can be built for $23,000?
Another Question: what's the average cost of a kitchen (or a bathroom) in one of the 50 houses under construction?

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Question: how many affordable housing units can be built for $23,000?

Two.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2017/1...d-in-hilo/

The price per 20-foot diameter standard white unit for humanitarian purposes, with two windows and a door, is $9,500.

Figure another $2K/each for shipping, construction, and further assume County waives the permit fees.
Money talks and affordable housing walks (down to the homeless camp).
That money will eventually go to house freeloading drug addicts, wife beaters, and bums. No actual affordable housing for working folks. The county needs to stop waiving the laws for their rich buddies.
Let's say an affordable home on Kona side costs $236,000 ($23,600 x 10, to make the math easy).

Then 50 luxury homes x 10 = 500 would need to be constructed for the county have enough funding for 1 affordable home. A yard worker and his house cleaner wife move in. Now, the 500 new homeowners have someone in the neighborhood they can hire for general maintenance in and around their property.

I hope the yard worker and house cleaner are faster than the ones I've come across here on the east side.

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

That money will eventually go to house freeloading drug addicts, wife beaters, and bums. No actual affordable housing for working folks. The county needs to stop waiving the laws for their rich buddies.

Cheaper than jail, perhaps?

Vacation rental story-http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37791161/report-1-in-24-homes-in-hawaii-is-now-a-vacation-rental